Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats a decent salary ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJW

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Whats a decent salary ? Reply with quote

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/info on this.

I've just been offered a job at an international school in Ferrara.
The school is not so big , so only 18 students (primary) to a class.

The salary on offer is 1000 Euros p/mth.

I have QTS , BA , MA and 9 yrs overseas teaching.

I can't find a lot of info on the web about salaries in Italy , so don't
know if this is on the low side or not.
I'm guessing that Ferrara will be quite an expensive area .

The school has said that a state school salary is on a par with this one.
Is this true ?? And how does it compare with other international
salaries ? Can you survive on this kind of money , or is this school just
pulling a fast one ?

Many thanks. Laughing
shirley

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a decent salary in Italy. I'm assuming it's net. Universities pay between 800-1,000 Euros. Almost all jobs pay that same amount. The pay is enough to live on if you share an apartment, have a very small apartment or take on private lessons in addition. The school is being upfront and Ferrrara is a beautiful city. Consider yourself lucky to have a fixed contract. Congratulations.
SJW

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shirley.

I'm still reeling at the cost of rent ! (or maybe that should be the salary!)

The search engines I have found are quoting 600 Euros for a
monolocale in this area !

The school says that amenities will cost about 125 Euros (max).

Which leaves 275 Euros for everything else ! Razz

Do you know of any sites where I could find info on prices for
everyday items ? I want to get a better idea of exactly what kind of
pover , er , standard of living that I could expect here.
shirley

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 600 is quite high for one room. Would you consider sharing an apartment? I shared an apartment with two others and had a good experiene a few years back. Sharing would probably bring it down to about 350 a month. You could also do extra hours privately for about 25 Euros and hour. About a site with other costs, I haven't found one yet. I'm moving back to Italy again myself next month and was looking for the same thing. I visited my new city in the south and found out that DSL was 40 a month, pasta was .50 a box, water the same .50. A monthly bus pass was 20 Euros. Medical care should be close to free with small fees. Pizza was 3 Euros. Restaurants were very expensive. Cigarettes, too, about 3.80 per pack. I noticed that nobody there was turning the heat on, they said electricity and gas were too expensive. Fresh fruits, veggies, etc were not expensive. If you rent from an agency you will have to pay 2 months rent, plus one month security deposit and one month for the rental agency so you're looking at 2,400 to move in. Much better to find a place on your own or share an apartment. I liked sharing and now is a good time as students are leaving for the summer. Most everything in Italy is done by raccomandazione so if you can contact someone in the area to help you, you could find a cheaper place to stay. Don't be put off by the high costs, you can get many private students. If you do 10 hours extra a week you can earn an extra 1,000 a month tax free and that will keep you comfortable. Yes, it's illegal but everyone in Italy does it, regular workers too, you will find you have two prices in Italy, one with receipt and one without, the one without is always cheaper! You have the education to market yourself well, but it will take some time and I hope you speak some Italian. If you don't it's easy to learn because the Italians love to talk and they will talk to you anyway.
jnesta1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: tax rate? Reply with quote

It seems that a common salary that is quoted in Italy is about 1000 euros a month. Is this gross or net? Are salaries taxed in Italy? If so, does anyone know the rate? If 1000 is gross, what's teh take home?

Thank you very much for teh information.

a future teacher,
Jeff
rainessence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Yikes, not a great salary! Reply with quote

That's not a great salary and in Italy, you'll notice you will feel how not so great it really is...You'll have no choice but to share rent and will need to supplement that income with private lessons. I can tell you this because that is what I did when I lived in Italy. Depends on how one likes to live no doubt. I think in Italy a decent salary is 1500 euros--2000. 1500 euros for sure in any case.
torinoguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 euros???? JESUS.... thats just crazy money! for a university graduate earning only 1200 USD a month without free housing!
you guys have got to be kidding me!!!

in korea where I teach now 1200USD was the pay back in 1996-97 with housing and free flights..
now it stands at 2000USD a month, free single apt, flights...
ok its not italy.. but still kinda low salary too! then again korea is very expensive but so is Italy..
how the hell do you live on 1000 euros? and pay for a flat!!???
is that 25 hours teaching a week???
seems being a teacher in italy is consider a low grade job!
I think working in a restaurant or a factory you will get the same money!
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two factors: the Italian economy (which is in the merda) and
supply and demand. More teachers want the lifestyle of Italy than the lifestyle in Korea. (I suspect we'd all like to combine the best aspects of both!).
Sophos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's par for the course but if you're keen you'll pick up more. I'm paying 650e for a lovely pad in Tuscany and working at 1/30th of my UK salary but it's well worth while and i wouldn't go back to London for all the fees in China.
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Torino. I get �1000 as a base salary for my first 90 hours each month, plus �11 per hour for each additional hour. Plus about �5 per hour for travel time. This means in busy months I take home about �1500, in December, June and July (when I work an average of sixty hours per month) I still take home my �1000. The school is closed in August and I receive no pay. Because I travel for work, the school pays for my monthly bus pass.

My expenses are as follows:

�311 per month for rent in a shared, furnished 3-br apartment in the city center (walking distance to everything, including the school)
�15 per month for bills in the summer and �25 in the winter... we have autonomous heating
�150 per week for entertainment, food and necessities (as a foreign girl I rarely have to pay for a drink)

TOTAL = �950 per month

As you can see, I just scrape by in the bad months, but in the busy months (Oct-Nov, Jan-May) I can save �500 per month. Between January and July I travelled to Naples, Ischia, Verona, Venice, Milan and Ravenna (total travel time about three weeks) and still managed to save �2000. I get paid on the 10th of the month and rent is due on the 5th, so every payday I have to set aside the rent for the following month.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that anything less than 1100 euros a month was a joke!

The only time i satisfied with my salary was when i got 1400 euros for the month.

That is acceptable and allowed me some semblance of a normal life!!
John ELS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,000 is decent. It is not as much as a state teaching position though.
Please don't compare Italian employment standards to Korean standards. That's simply absurd.
go2guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jetgirly (and anyone else in Torino) -- I'm a CDN guy living and working in Lyon, France. I am planning to go to Torino in Feb. 06 for a few days of the Winter Olympics; I can get tickets for the hockey games (the only sport that matters) through a connection in the NHL. What I don't have a bead on yet is accommodation in Torino. I've heard it is, quite naturally, pretty tight already BUT if anyoe has any good ideas on how I could find a room somewhere in or around the city I'm all ears.

I was also going to use this occasion to scope out the teaching market in Torino. Any general feedback on that "lay of the land" from anyone would also be most appreciated. ("Why leave France?", I can hear some people saying. Lots of -- personal and professional -- reasons really, I won't bore you all with the details but I have lived in Germany and France so why not try another market and learn another language!)

Thanks,
go2guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: