Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian without EU Passport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ademelo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Canadian without EU Passport Reply with quote

I have my TEFL certificate but I do not have an EU passport. Does anyone have any experience getting english teaching jobs in Italy without a visa or passport?
nomadder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they've all left the country.
Andreacanada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have experience, it can happen but you just need to weed out the companies that are willing to hire you without permission and those that arent. When you go to interviews they will clearly ask you if you have any sort of work permission. Are you in Italy yet? I am also a Canadian living in Rome, it can be challenging.
Good Luck!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working illegally is not a smart option. You have no rights, no recourse if things go badly or if the company exploit you in any way.

If you get caught working / staying here illegally, you could be deported.
krausb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher in rome or any others,
do you have any positive suggestions or insights that would help this situation? I am also without an EU passport and I am trying to find a way to get into Italy legally, but it seems impossible. I am planning on going one way or another, as my partner is getting stationed in Naples for two years. I am sick of being told my only option is to get married (even so, I would need a work visa to actually work in the country and not just on the naval base). Also, there is much dissuasion from going illegally when youre on the outside, but my impression from many people who have been or are there is that working under the table happens frequently. Honestly, how often does deportation of English teachers happen? Im all for not opening the floodgates, but can you give us honest, hard working, non-EU privilaged people some small hope of experiencing this beautiful country in a productive, employed manner? Any institutions that you know of that DO sponsor work visas for non-EU TEFL certified teachers? Is the paperwork really that onerous that it is impossible for a school to take pity on a poor american teacher following love? Im not trying to be (too) coy here, I really am just trying to get as much information about this as possible as I will probably soon be in such a situation.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not actually in Italy, as you've probably noticed. What I can say is that your enquiry is a common one; look at the archives, and you'll see some of the potential solutions.

I'm sure TIR won't mind me saying that we were chatting tonight about various things including the fact that Italy isn't as wired as the UK or US and you really need to be on the ground to sort things out face to face.
Even more than the UK you have to sweet talk people; you may feel like saying "just sign the bl***y form" but it won't work in Italy. We also talked about the bureaucracy and various other practical difficulties.

Just go there, become a student, get your own health insurance, etc etc - all these things have been discussed before, but over the internet nobody can promise you anything. Lots of Americans in Italy but remember, they may be working for a multinational or for daddies' trust fund. I'm sure you'll be OK with your partner to help, but being there is the best way: hard work but fun.
krausb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mille grazie for your advice, sueh. Thats the current plan, to get there and see whats up Smile Its been easy to get discouraged about the possibilities open to us non-EUers on the outside, but I plan on showing up and keeping in mind that it will all be an adventure.
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krausb, what is your opinion on illegal immigrants working in the US?
krausb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetgirly,
I am not opposed to it, wholly. I think that people with loved ones in a country or people with skills to offer should have a fair chance to enter a country - any country. Anti-immigration mentality I think is kind of sad and close-minded. Also, there is a difference between opening the back door to illegal immigrants that provide cheaper low-skill labor (which I think is sleazy and gives immigration a bad name) and permitting someone of skill with "means" and desire to stay and make an honest living. In fact, I am all for someone with no means, but skills and honesty to come on down. I am sorry if I gave the impression of going into Italy disregarding all rules and regulation so I can do what I darn please - that is certainly not my intention. Embarassed I am somewhat wistful/confused about what paperwork stands in the way of sponsoring me vs. an EU-passtport holder. Sign me up, I'll do the paperwork myself! I am not going to leach off the Italian system, I am fully supported by my partner (who I am not yet attached to legally), but cannot prove to anyone in the US-Italian beauracracy that I'm worth letting in according to the current vague, but rigid, rules of immigration. Honestly, while I had opinions about immigration before now, I have a somewhat greater appreciation for the frustration of being on the wrong side of those rules.

What do you think?
eddytotti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go back far enough, every white American has an English, German, Danish, Italian etc relative. Just keep looking, you'll find a euro link.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddy, that's a little misleading. One can't just dig up some great-great and expect to gain citizenship anywhere! Some countries are more lenient than others (accept grandparents who were born in that country) but going back farther than that is very unlikely to help anyone gain a citizenship in an EU member country. Further, even if one has more direct relatives, it's not an instant process.
krausb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, yeah. I have a grandfather who was austrian, but the connection is through adoption, not blood relation. I did not find any easy way to gain EU citizenship through the austrian-us consulate... I looked into it briefly. True, though, the foundation of US certainly rests on its immigrants over the years. Its a shame there are not more global-friendly connections by default, but I guess thats what I get for being in such an egocentric country in these times...
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EU countries don't issue work permits to US citizens simply because they'd like to work here (and stay close to their loved ones) for a while.

The US doesn't issue work permits to EU citizens simply because they'd like to work there (and stay close to their loved ones) for a while.

Sad, but true.

Last edited by stillnosheep on Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
shirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillnosheep wrote:
Austria isn't in the EU.

EU countries won't issuework permits to US citizens simply because they'd like to work here (and stay close to their loved ones) for awhile.

The US won't issuework permits to EU citizens simply because they'd lke to work there (and stay close to their loved ones) for awhile.

When did Austria drop out of the EU?
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. That would have been around the time of the surprisingly little publicised Alpine secession. Very Happy

(Post amended. I must have been thinking of Switzerland, if indeed I was thinking at all. Thanks)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: