Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Business Network L.L.C?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robinh66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Global Business Network L.L.C? Reply with quote

Hello forum people!

I'm exploring options in the ME and perticularly Oman. I've received a "job offer" from Global Business Network L.L.C for the Higher College of Technology of the Ministry of Manpower.

Comments on this outfit? I've seen bad reports about Ministry of Manpower on this forum, but no specifics.

Pay offered:
You will receive an all inclusive remuneration package of US$ 2,080/- per month (Two Thousand Eighty) with the following breakdown.

Monthly Salary US$ 1,500/-
Medical Allowance 100/-
Transport Allowance 300/-
Utility Allowance 180/-

The remuneration will be payable in arrears in Rial Omani at the fixed amount of (R.O. 800/-) at the end of each month during the contract of employment with the Client."

Sounds kind of low for an MATESOL and 14 years exp, including 2 yrs in Q8, eh?

Housing: single furnished apartment

Vacation: annual leave (number of days not specified)

Is it strange that they ask me to accept or decline this offer without all the facts? Not very heartening. I'm replying back with a long list of questions.

Any info is appreciated!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum for an MA + 14 - even in Oman - should be around 800 OR plus allowances... plus it is not clear if housing is supplied or if 'all inclusive' means that you have to pay your rent out of this. And from what I recall they have a very short summer leave. (unless I'm confused...)

With an MA and 14 years of experience, I'd definitely give this one a pass. You can do much better. If you are particularly interested in Oman, apply at SQU. The pay still will not be stellar, but you will be near Muscat and with a good dependable trustworthy employer. (at least as far as that goes in our field.)

If I were you, with your credentials I would look at the UAE also. Check out places like HCT, ZU, and UAEU... especially if you have experience with academic English.

Most Middle East places will not be hiring until Spring though... for next August/September. To be honest, it is pretty much the lousy places that are still hiring. Laughing

VS
Robinh66

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Thanks for the info. I've read many of your posts here, they've been most helpful! I just sent off that list of questions. Really don't expect much of a reply, sounds like they're trying to get something for nothing to me. That's OK, though, I'll probably stay on here in Korea for another year or so anyway.

I looked at the SQU site, looks pretty good. Also, lots of good comments in the forum. I think I'll inquire.

Another question I had is regarding driving. I do not drive, so living in Muscat is a must. I know people say driving is imperative, but I think that comes from people who are USED to having a car. I am used to NOT having a car. I take the subway and taxis here. I realize there is no subway in Muscat, but is it REALLY impossible to live without a car?? I'm not a club girl, bit old for that scene at 39, and I don't go out much-bit of a hermit actually! So, I would need transport for grocery shopping, etc., if it's not within walking distance, but that's about it.

Any other insights to offer?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Robin, I consider living in Oman to be just like living in suburban America... a car is imperative. It is a very spread out place - especially Muscat. Because almost everyone has a car, buses are very rare (probably not going where you want to go) and taxis are rather expensive and never around when you need one. It is not like a normal urban environment where there are tons of taxis trolling for customers.

Also because the heat is horrendous... you don't want to be standing around outside waiting and waiting for taxis when it is 45 degrees with often high humidity...

You might be better of in a place like Abu Dhabi... a nice sized city with plenty of taxis. (but even more humid) Dubai is more bustling and taxis are a bit more of a hassle from what I hear. But, it is something you can think about once you get a job offer. right?

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: