Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary/accommodations in Moscow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missemma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Salary/accommodations in Moscow Reply with quote

I am considering going to Moscow in April to look for teaching work. I understand from other posts that an average salary is about $500/month, plus arranged accommodations.

If one already has accommodations arranged, is it possible to negotiate a higher salary? A friend who owns a flat there has invited me to stay with him, so I would not need the school to provide a place.

Does anyone have recommendations for me to find a good smaller school in Moscow? I know of the larger institutions and plan to visit them, but I suspect that a smaller one may be better for me. I have a B.A. in English plus Trinity cert., 2+ years teaching experience in another Former Soviet country, speak some Russian, and have a fairly wide range of work experience (ESL camp director, resource development, teacher training.) Ideally, I'd like to work at a place where I could explore other projects as well as teach.

Is it generally okay to go visit schools unannounced, or would I be better off sending in my resume in advance and trying to secure appointments?

Any pointers/leads are much appreciated. Thank you!

Emma
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: By all means, do negotiate ! Reply with quote

Dear Miss Emma,

Yes, by all means; you can and should negotiate more than the standard $500 per month ...especially in Moscow ...and especially if you will be living on your own. Typical one-bedroom 'teacher flats' in and around Moscow cost, on average, between $250 and $400 per month, depending on condition and location. These apartment prices can vary *widely*, so please don't hold me 100% to the figures I'm quoting.

That said, you should be able to "up" your salary expectations to at least $700 per month, imho. You have a BA, a teaching Cert. and 2+ years of experience, along with some basic Russian skills, so DON'T sell yourself short or 'jump' at the first offer. Cool

Also; I think it's perfectly ok to show up in person, but you might want to email a few of the bigger schools to let them know you're coming, and perhaps attach your CV ...so they'll know who you are when you come knocking. Russians are pretty laid back about that kind of thing.

As for specific advice on smaller schools in Moscow, there is another thread in here somewhere written by another poster who listed a couple of those. Personally, I can't help you much with that aspect, since I'm far away from Moscow ...in Samara.

Hope this helps. Good luck, Miss Emma. Wink

Sincerely,
kent
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of visa are you getting? I wonder if you have to get a new one when you hire on someplace?
missemma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: My visa status Reply with quote

Yes, I imagine that I would need to arrange for a work visa once I have found a job. My intention is to go over for a brief visit on a tourist visa, and scope out job prospects and decide whether Moscow would indeed be a good place for me (I'm very familiar with Central Asia but have never been to Russia at all), then return home to settle personal business and secure appropriate work documents. I will, of course, be up-front with prospective employers about my visa status. Not, I realize, the most inexpensive route, but I'm fortunate that my friend in Moscow is helping with that, and I have personal reasons for wanting to have a round-trip ticket in hand on my initial trip.

Wink Emma

Mezhdu prochim, Kurt, vi ochen pomogli mne, spasibo!
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was considering the same course of action - just going and finding work there. I planned to get a one year, multiple entry business visa which cost me about 200 dollars last time. But I wondered if I would have to buy a whole new visa when I got a job, or if a work permit merely consists of an extra stamp in my passport, and would allow me to stay on my own visa. After reading the experience of other teachers, I am wary of an employer sponsering my visa and perhaps using it as leverage against me. Maybe someone who knows the rules about Russian visas can comment?

In your case a mulitple entry visa might be convenient, depending on how long you will be at home settling business.

Buck
Zolushka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missemma, there are so many ways of doing things in Russia. You might find that EFL teaching is quieter between April and August. It is definitely okay to do things on your own. Then again, those bigger institutions have the resources to get you through your 'settling' period. It all depends on what you are looking for. And it is definitely advisable to take a look at schools yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: