Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qualifications!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cokke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Qualifications! Reply with quote

Hello International Teacher-types!

I have been reading this website for a while now, I am a current university student who is thinking about working overseas for the first while after I get my education degree (B.Ed). The plan is to hop countries for a while, learn a few languages myself, and then head home.

My question, as it pertains to the Europe forum, is that a lot of people seem to have TEFL, or TESL, or this CELTA (that I really don't know a lot about, but sounds pretty similar to me.) I am wondering what additional doors seem to be open for university graduates, primarily with B.Ed's? Are european schools willing to hire non-eu professional teachers, and pay them professional wages? And if so, which countries?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cokke: you say you've been reading for a while, but you've missed a few important earlier threads. Read on! There's constant discussion on hiring restrictions pertaining to North Americans in most EU member countries. You could check the Spain forum, in particular. European schools won't be likely to hire you in most cases - it's just too difficult to swing work permits, when you are competing against well-qualified citizens of the U.K. who have automatic work permit status as EU member country citizens.

On the TEFL/TESL/CELTA issue: some serious training in teaching a second language (TEFL: teaching English as a foreign language: TESL: teaching English as a second language) is definitely desirable (check out the teacher training forum for more detailed info). I have a B.Ed. too - and teaching a second/foreign language to mostly adult learners is a very different beast, I can assure you!!

Your best bet might be to check out international schools, with your B.Ed.
Cokke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I was meaning by the CELTA, TESL, and TEFL is that I am currently studying to teach ESL in Canada, so I am taking the national certification program (CERTESL), which is more advanced then the one shot courses that seem to be promoted on the internet and on campus. This will also be combined into my B.Ed. So I am hoping with a more advanced ESL certification that more schools might be open to hiring a canadian.

As for these international schools, where can I find more info on thier recruiting? It seems to be that they seem to just be hiring spouses of ex-pats that have visas for other reasons. Correct me if I am wrong.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules vary from country to country, but the overarching issue is that non-EU citizens are (essentially) not employable in Western European countries, regardless of qualifications. This is obviously not 100%, but it's the "norm."

International schools aren't entities of any particular country, so the rules governing them are different. You could also check schools located on NATO bases.

Here are the details from my first-hand experience, for what that's worth.
Again, nothing's 100%, but I can give you general trends at least.

Netherlands: impossible regardless of quals.
Belgium: possible (for Americans, presumably Canadians too) but the job market is extremely small, and the pay is also relatively low.
Germany basically ditto, thanks to shaky economy.
Spain, Italy, and France can all hire scads of very well-qualified Brits with no paperwork hassles at all - so it's very unlikely that anyone's going to bend over backward for a North American.

Central/Eastern Europe would likely welcome you with open arms, but pay scales are local; meaning weak in comparison with Western Europe or Canada. Generally enough to live on fairly well in the country where you teach, but not much for savings or outside travel.

By the way, I'm writing from my perspective and experience as a teacher with a BA in Education, 8 years of experience teaching language to adults, and an MA in TESL/TEFL. I have been located in Europe since 1998, and have worked with two different teacher training centres (three, counting Canada), including helping to place newly-qualified teachers in a variety of countries. It's been a year since I worked in this capacity, so all of my info may not be current, but in 2004 I was communicating specifically with DOSs all over Europe, including the West. So - I guess I have at least a basic handle on the situation.

Sorry not to be more positive; it's not that it's impossible to land a professional-level job - but it generally requires a major commitment. LIke, moving to the country where you wish to teach, making personal contacts, hunting for loopholes and those odd positions....and taking the financial risk involved in this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: