Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEACHING IN MOROCCO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tina78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: TEACHING IN MOROCCO Reply with quote

Very Happy I have received a job offer from the ALC in Casablanca. I was just wondering if anyone has taught there.

What are the working conditions like? Is the salary sufficient for the cost of living in Casablanca?

Any feedback about your experience in Morocco would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks ![/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TEACHING IN MOROCCO Reply with quote

Ahh, Casa. You are indeed lucky. A sight for sore eyes.

Tina78 wrote:
Is the salary sufficient for the cost of living in Casablanca?

Depends what this school is offering. Under 9000 and they're laughing - at you.
Brooks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you don`t have debt, like student loans, the money is ok.
I used to work at EF in Casablanca.
Tina78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses!

I do not have any outstanding debts so I assume that I should be okay with the salary offered.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the housing is like? The ALC offers housing with or without a roomate depending if I am willing to pay rent or not. What are the apartments like?

What are the working conditions like? And are there opportunities to make money on the side by tutoring?

Any feedback would be appreciated... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alcmarr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Working in Casa Reply with quote

I think you'll find the apartments they offer just fine. The teaching staff is good, there's loads of support and extra material, the Center itself is looking great, and apart from the fact that Casa is a big city and not everyone's cup of tea, I think you'll have a good experience teaching there.

About tutoring on the side: yes, you can find private tutoring, but be careful about it. Make a very clear agreement with the student. The main problem is that people who can pay for private lessons (and the going rate would be from 100 dh an hour up) are often busy people who may miss their appointment with you. So this is the downside of private tutoring, and I'm speaking out of personal experience.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out for you.
Tina78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your response alcmarr...

I am looking forward to teaching in Morocco...How long did you teach there for? What is the staff like? And what about the Director? Any feedback about the school would be greatly appreciated...Thanks for your time
alcmarr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The present director in Casa, David, is a hard-working person and because he had previously taught for years in Morocco (and still does some teaching) he's sympathetic to teachers' needs.

Like I said before, I think you'll have a good teaching experience. Moroccan students are among the best language learners in the world, in my opinion. They're very motivated, and not afraid to take risks in class. Also, they already speak Arabic, Moroccan Arabic, Berber (in some cases) and French, so adding English kind of easy for them.

Best of luck
Tina78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcmarr
thanks so much for your response

I also know what it is like learning languages...I speak English and French fluently and I have also been learning Arabic.

I have corresponded with David and he seems like a really sympathetic person. I am just worried that I may not get the job because I do not have a Bachelors degree. He has assured me that it should not be a problem since I have my TESOL certification. Do you think it is worth it to take the chance? I just want to ensure a job before I make this big of a move!!!

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds SWEET!
drig37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: ALC in Moracco Reply with quote

Hey Alcmarr; and Tina78:

I've been teaching in China for the past 4 years and I've always wanted to live and work in Casablanca. Would you mind providing a few more details about ALC, such as what does ALC stand for? How much do they pay? Are there any age restrictions (I'm a young 59)? And last but not least, how would you compare working in Morocco with China and/or Mexico (and the US for that matter)?

Tina: Assuming you got the job, what's the experience been like? Care to reflect for a moment on the highs and lows of your job?

Thanks to both of you,
drig37
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALC = American Language Centre. It's going to pay about Dh8000, I guess. Also available in Casa are EF, AMIDEAST and umm some more.

I know, because the British Council said in a recent advert, that 60 is the upper age limit for visas.

Wow, I offered Morocco advice. Didn't mention chips or ramadam once. Normal service will return, be afraid, be very....I'm off for a lie down.
medina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: TO DRIG Reply with quote

Your question about age: the Ministry of Labor in Morocco won't offer a work permit to a non-Moroccan past 60. So if you found a job and they submitted papers for you, the MOL would give you permission until your 60th birthday.
Without that permit, a teacher is illegal and cannot establish residency. This has nothing to do with agism. The law is there to open up jobs for young Moroccans and it doesn't make exceptions even where native speakers with experience are needed.

Medina
Marrakesh
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 60 is the upper age limit. Rolling Eyes
23klicks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: second post Reply with quote

May good fortune and success follow all forum posters for all of their years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: