Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does one get a Uni job in Japan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristovao

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: How does one get a Uni job in Japan? Reply with quote

I'm currently slogging my way through a combined DELTA/MA Applied Linguistics program in the UK. I'm 30 with 8 years' experience. I'm considering Japan as a post-graduation option. I'd really like to know...

1) Is it possible to get a Japanese Uni job from outside Japan?

2) If I came over with a Big Three school, how difficult would it be to get a Uni job once in Japan? Do the Big Three even hire 'over-qualified' people (I probably wouldn't in their shoes)?

3) Is there a TESOL-Japan conference? If so, would it be worth flying over (at great expense, obviously) to try finding a job there?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cristovao
PAULH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Is it possible to get a Japanese Uni job from outside Japan?

Yes but its very difficult, most schools require an interview, and besides for full time positions you will be required to have at least 3 publication and teaching experience

2) If I came over with a Big Three school, how difficult would it be to get a Uni job once in Japan? Do the Big Three even hire 'over-qualified' people (I probably wouldn't in their shoes)?

To get jobs requires not only a sutable degree but also a lot of contacts as many jobs are not advertised except in Japanese or by word of mouth. The JALT job site has several jobs but many people start by working several schools at once on different days. Starting at the big 3 will provide you with an income until you get settled at meet people.

3) Is there a TESOL-Japan conference? If so, would it be worth flying over (at great expense, obviously) to try finding a job there?

The largest TEFL organisation is JALT which holds an annual conference in November. I wouldnt remmend flying all the way to japan just for the conference as all the schools do is collect resumes, and there is a lot of competition for jobs. The JALT site is at http://www.jalt.org and they have a jobs site in their online Language teacher magazine. There are over 400 universities in Japan and not all of them advertise at JALT obviously, though it would help your job search if you were in Japan and could attend interviews.

If you need more info you can mail me at phackshaw2003@yahoo.co.nz (I teach at a university in Japan but I am on vacation in NZ right now)

Thanks in advance for any info.
Cristovao

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info, Paul. It looks like a pretty tough market--and a long-term investment for those wishing to break in. I'll have to think long and hard about whether to give it a try.
PAULH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristavao

When I get back to Japan I will email you the Language Teacher Article about teaching at universities. I am teaching full time now but taught for many years part time and worked at one stage at 5 different colleges in one week, 2 campuses I taught on the same day. Commuting an hour or more each way is a night mare if you are doing it for a 10 year stretch but a fact of life if you are teaching part time all over the place as they will only let you teach one or two days, up to 6 classes at one campus.

You need the Masters to be considered for most part time jobs, and refereed publications for full-time positions as well as teaching experience. Pay is much better than at the conversation schools (average of 25,000 yen per 90 minute class per month or 250,000 yen for 10 college classes) compared to 250,000 yen for a forty hour work week at NOVA. On average teaching twenty classes a week I was on about 430,000 yen a month after taxes you could teach more than that or teach privates to supplement your income, and you also have up to 5 months vacation if you are part time, and you dont have to be on campus. Full time is anything from 4-10 million yen a year depending on school (public or private?) age qualifications and experience.

There are other pros and cons that I can tell you about but a lot will depend on where you want to live and teach (you may find it easier to get teaching jobs in more remote or provincial locations, or at junior colleges which are fast becoming extinct, or at lesser ranked colleges, whcih make teaching at a language school look easy), your short and long term ambitions (it is possible to get one year contracts at universities teaching part time for example, while full time jobs are 1-3 years and very competitive: the last couple I applied for had over 30 applicants for one position). If you have a family or a Japanese fiance in the works I would seriously think about college work as working at the language schools is not enough to support a family on, especially if she quits work and you decide to have children, aim for PR visa etc.

Jobs are advertised (not in the newspaper though) but most of the jobs I got were from people who were working at a college somewhere and they had a sudden vacancy, there was a notice on the notice boards at work (a couple I found at the Temple University campus notice board as well). There is a Japanese-language website where all college positions going are listed for the Japanese consumption but you will need Japanese reading ability to read them. A small number are written in English for foreign and Japanese lecturers.

PS I do see a small number of jobs where they accept applications from teachers overseas (Ritsumeikan and Doshisha in Kyoto are two that I know of) and they provide housing etc for expat teachers. You can apply for those but considering the number of Master qualified teachers applying for the same jobs in Japan many of them are seeking PhD qualified or "guest lecturer" type positions and dont have the same kinds of 'perks' and security that locals get. A lot will depend on what you are looking for.
PAULH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not really allowed to post job ads on here but here is a recent one for a university in Kyoto seeking someone to start from September.

If you email me at phackshaw2003@yahoo.co.nz
I can send you the whole link:

Employment criteria: All candidates should meet the following criteria:
1.44 years of age or below
2.Masters Degree in an English related field
3.Three years or more of Japanese university English teaching experience
4.Ability to teach in an area other than ESL related to intercultural communication
5.Ability to participate in committee work and conduct various other administrative duties in Japanese. Finalists will be asked to demonstrate this ability during an interview.

募集期間 2003年02月06日 - 2003年05月06日 
着任時期 2003年09月15日 
応募書類 Required documents: The following documents must be included in your application:
1.Curriculum vitae in Japanese and English: (one original and three copies of each) Use form 1 in Japanese, and in English use a western style résumé on a separate A4 sheet being sure to include all the same information, in the same order, as the Japanese document.
2.List of publications: (four copies in Japanese or English) Use form 2 in Japanese, or in the case of English list main publications and presentations on a separate A4 sheet beginning with the most recent. Indicate the three documents that you feel best represent your research by placing a check next to them.
3.Copies: Include four A4 size copies of the three papers you indicated in the list of publications.
4.Research summary: (four copies) Use form 3 in Japanese (600 characters) and in English write on a separate A4 sheet a 400-word summary of the papers you indicated in the list of publications.
5.Teaching philosophy: (four copies) Write in Japanese (1000 characters) and in English on a separate A4 sheet a 500 word essay outlining your teaching philosophy.
6.Return envelope: If you wish to have your documents returned include a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage to assure its delivery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: