Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those little words

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Those little words Reply with quote

You know how it is, your conversation is going nicely and then all of a sudden you hit one of those words that you just can't get your head, or sometimes your mouth, around.

Today it was a complete mental blank as to whether prochaine or dernier were the correct choice for next... happily after ten minutes of strange gestures and facial contortions I was able to convery what I meant and was reassured that my first instinct, towards prochaine, was the correct one. So I have now come up with a fail safe method of remembering that one, prochaine is similar to approaching! *smug smile*

As for getting the mouth Frenchified, has anyone come across fourrure? What a nightmare! Shocked

Anyway, just for the fun of it and because our forum is one of the slowest on the whole board, how about some other nominations for nastiest French word you've come across recently?

PT

Last edited by Perpetual Traveller on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*beep* has always been one of my favorites. You have to make sure to conjugate it right though. *beep* can mean something very different from *beep*.

*beep* is pretty much the same as the English *beep*. always good when you are angry.

Allez *beep* is what one guy said to me once. Still don't know exactly what it means.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jetset

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tapette

M erde

P utaine!

My personal favorite expression is "bourrer la geule" (france) or "virer une brosse" (quebec) which means 'getting p iss drunk'

Just tell the girls "je ve te fourrer comme une biche" and they will love it Wink

hehe

god i love french! Cool
d moon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: French words Reply with quote

Yes, rude French is particularly good for practicing pronunciation.

Va te faire foutre being a particularly charming expression.

Here's another word I love

esp�ce de barbouze

Also try getting your mouth round the future tense of 'oublier' as in 'je ne oublierai pas la prochaine rendez-vous'.

or

Je parierai qu'elles sont des vrais santiages...

I could go on for ever, these are just off the top of my head.

That's whats so fun with French, all kinds of things you know how to say but just can't get out of correctly some times. Helps if you're drunk.

Good luck. Why anyone would wan't to learn French and pay for it is a complete mystery to me but I wish them all the best. Well I can think of a few reasons but living in France ain't one of 'em.

Great for literature though.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good quote from Matrix about cursing in French. It's like wiping your ass with silk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: French words Reply with quote

d moon wrote:
Why anyone would wan't to learn French and pay for it is a complete mystery to me but I wish them all the best.

Well for me it's mostly because I hate doing things half-arsed. I learnt French all through High School but knew that without living somewhere French speaking I'd never become fluent, so here I am.

Also I love to talk so being able to understand conversations without being able to join in on them is a form of torture for me, fluency was the only option. Laughing

PT
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your quote Guy!

How can "nase" or even "nique" be so rude, yet sound so inoculous?

Anyway, my least favourite words are those with "gr---" or "cr---" sounds. They're really difficult for me to pronounce.
Canedolia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Those little words Reply with quote

Si

It's small, it's not exactly nasty.

I find it very revealing that the French have a word that they use specifically for contradicting people.
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those "-----ouill-------" words are a nightmare.

My kids and grandkids fall on the floor laughing as I try to get my mouth around "brouillard" or "grenouille" etc.

They even invite their friends to come and listen as they set me up me with
"Say ........... in French dad"

But, I can cheat.

"Say frog in French dad" Is systematically answered with "Crapaud"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: