Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where?good teacher, no degree, over 40, lifestyle vs. income

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgrimley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Where?good teacher, no degree, over 40, lifestyle vs. income Reply with quote

I have taught in Japan ('91) and Cambodia ('94). I hated the first and liked the second a lot. I have no certificate or degree but am a competant enthusiastic teacher.

Now the crunch... I have a ticket to Bangkok via Taipei, limited resources (a Mastercard with 5K limit; under US$300 cash; no debt; and US$1200 waiting for me in Chonburi). I prefer teaching adolescents 'cause they are eager without being too persnickety. Kids are a headache and adults bore me. I prefer to teach legally (if low taxes) but have no problem doing otherwise.

I intend to teach for 1 year, get a CELTA and move on to a better job. I need not (in fact prefer not) live in a big city. I don't drink. I live very simply as long as I can travel in S.E. Asia 2-3 months every year. I am not in this for the long haul.

Since I am university educated (not a graduate) you could say that I am at the top of the backpacker teachers - or the bottom of the professionals!

I actually prefer to edit/proof-read, teach writing, art, drama etc. I make no bones that I teach to *survive* and because that the economy in Canada sucks right now. Even my service business is crap compared to a decade ago. There is no point staying.

Possibililites...

Vietnam

Advantages: Vegetarian food available; civilized country

Disadvantages: visa problems; students very demanding (grammar- yech!)

Taiwan

Advantges: Easy to get a job; veg food available, not too demaanding classes

Disadvantages: Baby-sitter entertainer; large classes?; school operators are cheats; can I sign up as a student of Chinese at a fake school upcountry?

Laos

Advantages: Easygoing people; can cheaply travel overland from BKK

Disadvantages: Low wage jobs, very little info about Laos on any forum

Nepal

Advantages: veg food; Buddhist-hindu cultural interests

Disadvantages: Low wage

China

Advantages: Jobs a plenty

Disadvantages:... at low wages

Cambodia

Advantages: I am at home there; living is cheap; Can cheaply travel overland from Bangkok.

Disadvantages: Jobs now pay $1-4 an hour & schools are hiring non-native speakers now.

Am I missing some place where one can save US$500+ a month without dying of exhaustion? I'd be happy to teach in Inner Mongolia if the money was decent.
guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: South pole, maybe. Reply with quote

Surprised Are you teaching English for your benefit? Why not consider the students? Get qualified and do yourself and the students a great service. Some schools advertise a job with themselves whilst completing the CELTA. There are many distance courses as well.
Mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should hang out in Taipei. The food was good. Nobody ever asks for any form of documents. In fact they seem confused and upset if you should offer them.

Get a card phone, hang out at the Taipei Hostel. Play games with the kids at Joy or something.

I think Cambodia maybe. You said that you felt at home there. Maybe you are in here for the long term and just don't know it yet.

Canadian fashion model, blonde hair blue eyes maybe these days with no degree. It is not 91 in Japan.

Even the PRC wants a real degree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: