Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone heard of the Boland School of TEFL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Has anyone heard of the Boland School of TEFL? Reply with quote

I am looking into going to this school in Feng Xian China to prepare for teaching, but I only know about it through the internet. www.boland-china.com.
I have also read here a couple of times that you can't teach in China without a degree, but I don't have one, and I have been offered a job from a state sponsored school, so I don't think this is correct.
Edward

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the school, but the website looks good. I know there was another TEFL training center in South China, and I considered attending it. I may take the course you mentioned, because in my opinion, the INTERNET courses offered by various agencies online are a bunch of useless CRAP!

How on earth could anyone expect to get REAL honest to goodness "one on one" teaching expertise and so on through the Net. The TEFL course is very intensive from what most people who have taken it around the world have told me. A number of people can't pass the course at the end of the one month training.

Remember, ANY training is better than NO training, even if the teachers and material are HALF A**!

And about the degree; China is one of the few countries you don't need ANY degree in...remember, you are here to be a "dancing, singing bear", and attraction for the schools to show off to money paying parents.

There are some people here in China, with wonderful degrees related TO teaching, but many that are here simply do NOT have the credentials [me included]. I am hoping to change that over the next 4-5 years while I am here though, because I take it serious. I taught computer classes in USA, so my background is somewhat unrelated, that is why I also wish to take a good TEFL course.

So if you feel it is worth your money, or to improve your teaching skills then by all means TAKE THE COURSE! Many "teachers" come here with absolutely NO experience standing before people and teaching, much less putting together good lesson plans and creating their own materials. And the principles and techniques you will learn in the TEFL will really move you toward being a better, if not excellent teacher of English!

Michael
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boland School is run from Brno in Czech, or so I hear, by an American woman. Some of my intelligence I owe to kvido benak whom you can meet on the Europe forum.
The college near Xuzhou looks great on the website but I doubt it is as good-looking in reality. I have been to Xuzhou. Not a particularly touristy place, nor do local people have the kind of money to put their progeny through such a college.
I guess Boland and the Xuzhou school are in cahoots to recruit ESL teachers for profits to be shared between the two of them.
The TESOL course Boland offered last year was held in Czech, and you were promised a job in China. A bit circuitous, if you ask me!
davidm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yoxat! I'm registered for the Boland School's TEFL course that starts in mid-June. I've been in contact with Katie Boland at the school since I first signed up with the school a few months ago. She has been very quick and helpful in responding to emails, which I take to be a good sign. I don't have any other way of knowing anything about the school, but since I'll be fresh out of college and will have no formal training or experience as a teacher, I figure that a month's training in China has to be better than nothing.

When were you thinking of going?
yoxat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davidm

What a coincidence. I will be there at the same time as you. I hope we are not sending our money only to find out there's no school. Embarassed I have communicated with Katy too. I have received the pre school package on grammar. I guess I will see you there. You can email me at [email protected] if you like.
Sincerely
Michael
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger
I thought that I should set the record straight about the Boland School.
I speak from experience of doing the course in Czech and teaching in China. The Boland school isn't in cohoots with a Xuzhou college. There are about an hour and a half away from each other by bus. The Boland school is a private language school in FengXian, the same place where the training centre is for the people who want to be TEFL teachers.

The students are mostly middle school students, but there are some adult classes.

Like many schools, the expect their teachers to teach their method and like to hire their graduates. It's a 140-150 hour course with an internship and very very intesive grammar. There are high standards as well.

Katie Boland is honest and has run the Czech school for over a decade. The teaching environment here is very close as well.

HOpe that this helps!
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Seth, I take note of your corrections. I had some correspondence with Katie Boland some time ago, and somehow this is what I came to believe.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, by the way, my name is Sharon.
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Naturegirl321 alias Sharon - the second time this week that I slipped up this way! I really need some therapist, I guess!
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No therapist Roger, just a break from all the crap you have endured.
Jules22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Boland Correspondence Reply with quote

I have corresponded with Katie Boland, I can second that she replies very quickly and was helpful in answering my questions. I don't know about their training courses.
Midlothian Mapleheart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited to remove offensive content.

Middy

Last edited by Midlothian Mapleheart on Mon May 29, 2006 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
GoPies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Boland TEFL course in January.
The "school" was in Suzhou, which is a great city to live in. It is not really a school, more an office space converted into small classrooms. They offer free English classes to the locals and you get to practise on a range of abilities and a range of age groups, from primary school to adult business people. I note that they have expanded to a couple of other locations in China.
From talking to colleagues, the syllabus is very similar to the highly regarded CELTA course. The teachers were, in the main, very competent. Katie herself is excellent.
There were about a dozen people in my course, from all over the world. I was the only Aussie (and the only one with previous teaching experience). Others were from US, UK, Canada, Germany, Holland and the Philippines. We all got on well together.
I am surprised that people with no direct knowledge of the course have responded to the OP. I tried to get information before I did the course, but Boland had had a few problems and had relocated, so information was out of date.
I would wholeheartedly recommend the course from the point of view of being an excellent preparation for teaching English in China.
Chris_Crossley

Location: Still in the centre of Furnace City, PRC, after eight years!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Old thread! Reply with quote

I don't know whether Jules22, Midlothian Mapleheart or GoPies have noticed, but this thread was started in March 2003!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
GoPies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tha???? Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: