Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language Learning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Habibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Language Learning Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am soon moving to Qatar, and would like to get a head start on learning some Arabic. Can anyone recommend some good self study books? I have been to the local bookstore, but most of the materials they have do not include any audio materials, so I will have to end up ordering online.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for classes/tutoring once I arrive in Doha?

Thanks a lot.
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are working for a Qatari organisation, you should be eligible for Arabic classes at the Language Teaching Institute. Excellent Arabic teachers and materials (at least, they used to be).
DesertStar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to mingle more with the locals and other Arabic speaking folks. Nothing beats immersion!

Oh, and try to avoid, at all cost, those colonial, insular expat communities.

Goodluck Smile
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might also want to mingle more with the locals
Easier said than done
DesertStar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Easier said than done

That's a fair statement dmb, it's worth trying though. Learning a foreign language isn't easy anyway.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Learning a foreign language isn't easy anyway.
Absolutely. What I meant was that the locals are a very closed society. I admit I never went out of my way to befriend Qataris. I am sure it is possible but not easy to break down the culture of family importance.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Making friends Reply with quote

I don't suppose the sight of a blue shirt emblazoned with "McEwan's Lager" appealed to the locals, dmb. Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMB

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??? We have missed you!! I thought the MODS may have finally thrown you out. Laughing Laughing

Excuse the hijack... now back to our previously recorded program...

VS
DesertStar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Absolutely. What I meant was that the locals are a very closed society. I admit I never went out of my way to befriend Qataris. I am sure it is possible but not easy to break down the culture of family importance.

I agree. From my experience though, getting to know your local co-workers (if you have any) is a powerful gate opener. I don't think I'd have otherwise known anything about the local culture. Seeing locals at malls and other places doesn't reflect how hospitable and friendly they really are. In fact, it might give the opposite impression - esp when they're behind the wheel Mad
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seeing locals at malls and other places doesn't reflect how hospitable and friendly they really are
You mean driving at 120 swerving in and out of traffic along the Corniche isn't friendly?

Thanks VS, moved house and no connection at home yet. Reading books Shocked
DesertStar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Habibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Books-recommendations please! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I certainly hope to be able to have a good balance of local/expat friends, but I'm sensing this can be a challenge. Other than at work, are there many chances for females to escape the expat "ghetto" and make friends among the locals?

Also, I'm still after some good language/general info. books to gain a better understanding of my soon to be new "home". From what I gather, there isn't much in the way of good English language books available.

Can anyone recommend some "must reads" about Islam/Arabs/Arabic etc. that I could purchase before arriving in Doha?

Thanks again,
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Habibi... you are female? Do you realize that 'habibi' means 'my love (male)'? Laughing You need to change your name to 'habibti'

You will find that it is very difficult to make friends with the local women. They have family obligations from childhood and this doesn't include foreigners. About the best that you can hope for is to be invited to a wedding now and again. In all my years, I was only able to break through that wall with a small number of fellow teachers whose kids were grown, but not yet married. It was their age (close to mine) and relatively small families - besides their already breaking out by being employed as professionals - that gave them the freedom to have unrelated friendships. And I still exchange emails with a couple of them.

Men have a much easier time meeting local men. Their freedom of movement and sports, in particular, make things simpler. The local men also have fewer family obligations than the women.

It is a wonderful experience if you can break into these cultures... even just a little... but I fear that Qatar may be even more difficult than a place like Oman, Kuwait or the UAE to get to know other women.

VS
DesertStar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides work, getting somehow involved in women's activities over there might give you a chance to meet local women who are (like VS suggested) professionals and have more freedom. There are several emerging women organizations/societies in Qatar.

It's unfortunate that most expats in the Gulf religiously stick to 'their own'. Western expats in particular (compared to other expats), because of the language barrier and their small number, tend to be very isolated. You're stuck with a limited number of people whom you 'have to' befriend simply because they're Westerners too, from your home country, or speak your language.

You meet the same people for a drink, dinner, at health club, book club, you get the picture.......I find it quite suffocating, even when they're verrrry sane and not too eccentric Wink ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: