Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

married to a French woman, how to work legally ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enclave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: married to a French woman, how to work legally ? Reply with quote

Hello all: New to the forum, looks great! We have recorded our marriage with the French consulate in San Francisco, California, where we live now. I am told it will take about 10 months Evil or Very Mad to get the "livret de famille" which basically confirms I am married to a French national. We want to go to Europe, Spain, France or Italy, we don't know yet. I'm pretty sure I can work legally, but there must be hurdles. Does anyone know what is in store for me in order to work legally? Specifically, if anyone can answer the following, I would be mighty grateful:

what are the lag times? If we don't arrive at the same time, can I still register or whatever is needed? Is there anything one can do in advance in the US before arriving?
d moon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Get used to waiting Reply with quote

Hello,

10 months sounds like a long time to wait for the 'livret de famille' mine took about a week but then my wife and I had been married for a few years when I applied.

There's nothing more you can do until you have that book. After that get used to more waiting when you arrive in France. I've been here 9 months and I still haven't got the proper 'carte de s�jour' because every time I go to the prefecture I'm missing something or other. Doesn't really matter though as you can work as soon as you apply.

Finding work is a whole other ball game. I'm assuming that you're planning on teaching English if you're posting on this forum. The salaries you will find will be laughable if not downright insulting which is why I prefer to work for the SMIC in a mindless job until I find something decent rather than put myself through it for a language school for little more. I made more per hour in China than some places were offering me here and haircuts don't cost 50 centimes in Paris...

French adminstrations is even worse than its reputation, and that's really saying something. Just get used to things taking alot longer than you're used to. The people you'll deal with are reasonably friendly and understanding but they sure are particular about having all the right paperwork. ie. you need a secu number but it takes about 6 months to get that sorted out.

And I'm not picking of France. I emigrated to England when I was a teenager and the whole residency process was abolutely painless. In fact sometimes I wonder why were here instead of London but hey, new adventures, new experiences are what life's all about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: