Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health insurance, elementary schooling and importing a car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
got2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Health insurance, elementary schooling and importing a car Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was offered a job in Sohar University. I have been reading the postings here and they have been quite helpful. I want to personally thank all for supplying very helpful info.

My questions are as follows and I would highly appreicate anyone with info:

1. How is the health coverage in OMan? I understand it's gov't insurance. Are the facilities occupied with all equipment needed in case of emergencies? I'm asking b/c I have small children and they need immediate attention.

2. Can anyone supply me with list of elementary schools near Sohar University. I have been unsuccessful in finding out schools online.

3. Would it be wise to import a car from the states to Oman? I have been reading that cars are expensive and was wondering to ship it since all I have to pay is the shipping on it!

4. HOw is life in Sohar?

Thanks so much for your input and info and look forward to hearing back from all of you guys and gals!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Health insurance, elementary schooling and importing a c Reply with quote

got2go wrote:

1. How is the health coverage in OMan? I understand it's gov't insurance. Are the facilities occupied with all equipment needed in case of emergencies? I'm asking b/c I have small children and they need immediate attention.

Health care in Muscat area is quite good with a number of well-equipped hospitals, and the usual mix of good and bad doctors. It is a limited 'govt insurance' for expats. I don't know what SU provides (my last employer had a contract with a local clinic and we could be referred into the govt system for more serious problems). One problem is that Sohar is a rather small place and a couple hours drive from the capital and its facilities. Sohar facilities are likely fine for minor problems.
got2go wrote:

2. Can anyone supply me with list of elementary schools near Sohar University. I have been unsuccessful in finding out schools online.

From what I've read on here, there are few schools that are appropriate. Your only choice in English may be the Indian or Pakistani school. The tuition will be expensive.
got2go wrote:

3. Would it be wise to import a car from the states to Oman? I have been reading that cars are expensive and was wondering to ship it since all I have to pay is the shipping on it!

No way this would make sense. Actually new cars are significantly cheaper. Used cars are probably about the same, but one must take great care in buying one (something for you to think about later). For what you sell your US car for + the cost of shipping, you can probably replace it in Oman.
got2go wrote:

4. HOw is life in Sohar?

I'd say peaceful and quiet. Rather like living in a small town in the middle of Oklahoma - with less to do - but at least Sohar is on the sea and has nice beaches.
got2go

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Hospitals Reply with quote

With the medical insurance in Salalah, can I use the same medical insurance in Muscat, if needed? Or are you restrained to only the city you work in?

What about dental issues? Will the medical insurance cover it, or is this seperate insurance?

Thanks for your input!
manoflettersk466

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: sohar / salalah Reply with quote

ok, i'm confused ....are you going to teach in Salalah...or Sohar....on the opposite side of the country??
got2go

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you confused? First, I don't know where you got that I will work in Sohar b/c I didn't even mention it!

Next, all I wanted to know is if you can use your medical insurance in other cities in Oman or is one restricted to that particular area!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

err... got2go... if you go to the top of the page, you said that you had been offered a job in Sohar and all of your questions related to Sohar. In some of your threads you have asked about Salalah and some you have asked about Sohar. So, you can't really blame us for being a bit confused. Laughing

But to get to your question about health care. You don't have 'insurance' as we think of it. It is a national health program. If you have your labor card, you are eligible for care. Most private employers have connections with private clinics. Best that you ask your employer about their particular system.

VS
spicegirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... I was confused, too, got2go .... and now I'm even more worried, as you don't seem to remember that said you were going to Sohar. Or are you? If it's Salalah you're going to, then we'll start all over again with the advice and help. Let us know which one it is. Perhaps you've been offered 2 jobs and haven't decided yet.
got2go

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: confusion Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments!

First I think I need to clarify why there's Sohar and then Salalah. I first didn't realize that I mentioned Sohar on this posting. Only because in another posting I mentioned that the offer was in Salalah and not in Sohar and was under the impression that "we" were all on the same page. So my apologies go out to anyone I might of offended.

Next, the original job offer when I applied was for Sohar University. Then after I requested to know where I will be working, they mentioned Salalah!

Anyway, that's where I stand now - should be working in Salalah - unless things change!

After having said that, does it matter that I'm working in Salalah and have to go to Muscat, for example, for medical help? Will the hospital in Muscat accept the government insurance they are providing me? And lastly, what if I had to pay for services that were not covered under my plan, does anyone know if it's expensive or affordable? I know this is a very broad question b/c we don't know the nature of the medical need, but just an overview would give me an idea. Like the USA, it's almost impossible not to have health insurance and be able to afford it! It's just too costly.

Thanks for your response(s).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered most of these question above. There is NO health insurance. You would only need to go to Muscat in dire circumstances... Salalah facilities can handle most things.

Not everything is covered under the universal health care. For instance, there is a very long wait for MRIs. Most foreigners just go to a private clinic and have it done - paying for it themselves. It costs about 10% of the price in the US, but they are still not cheap. Fortunately most of us never have to have one in the first place.

I think that medical care is not something to worry about in Oman unless one of your family has serious health issues. And if that is true, you probably shouldn't go overseas to work anyway.

VS
got2go

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: insurance Reply with quote

I, too, hope I will never have to use MRI's and the like, but with children, you just never know and I always have to account for the worst!

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately with children it is usually just a stitch or two - or strep throat - or at worst perhaps a broken bone. All of that can be handled with no problem at the facilities in the larger cities of Oman.

With really serious problems, you might have to travel with your child to find the best hospital even in the US.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: