Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in Mexico as a single mom?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
route66

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: teaching in Mexico as a single mom? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I taught English in Mexico back in the '80s and am considering doing so again. Now I'm many years older and wiser, am a mom, and am dual-degreed. Can anyone advise on the following:

Would I earn a decent wage teaching English now that I have higher degrees? (My master's is in journalism.) Oh, by decent wage I mean enough to rent a large enough house for my daughter and I, food/utilities, buses, basic expenses, no partying but occasional trips to the zoo, parks, museum, and education for her.

Also, now I am a single mom. Has anyone tried living and working in Mexico as a solo mom? Can anyone advise on how much I'd need to make per month, and how much I could reasonably expect to earn? I have read a lot of the posts on this board, and have found them very interesting and informative.

Yet I'm posting here to see what opinion may be on my particular circumstances.

PS I would want to live outside of Mexico DF (though close by is o.k.)
PSS When I taught English in Mexico before, it was in Cuernavaca. Has the cost risen considerably since the '80s?

Thanks for any advice, or tips!
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if a masters in journalism is gonna help you a lot but it might. I work in Toluca a little west of Mexico City. I pay about 2000 pesos for a little furnished apt and about 300/month for utilities. Food, maybe I spend about 500-600 a month if I dont eat out. I use the bus for transportation, not sure what it works out to.

If you can do unfurnished, you will pay less or about the same for a larger apt but you will have to buy a lot of stuff.

Schools vary alot as far as tuition but many schools are bilingual Spanish/English. If you get child support, it might go a long way down here. How old is your child? Thats a big consideration and the younger the better. Mine is almost 15 and I am having some real doubts about bringing him down here next year...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: