Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What about the Philippines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: What about the Philippines? Reply with quote

I see information about several Asian countries but the Philippines does not seem to be among them. Does anyone know anything about teaching English there?
ppzz70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: teaching in Philippines...it's possible to make good money Reply with quote

The jobs vary...you can make up to $3000/month as a full time IELTS examiner...That's decent considering the cost of living is much lower than other places. On the other end of the scale, some Korean-owned schools pay only $2-4/hour (ouch). Email me if you want more info...
hesterprynne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Every other post on this topic has said that there are no jobs there. What's the 411?
ppzz70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Philippines Reply with quote

There are plenty of jobs here...I have had at least half a dozen job offers this year. It's a matter of being creative and tapping into the right sources. I could write a huge message about all the places to find work in the Philippines (but I won't). It does help that I've been here a year and a half...It takes time to make connections. You can believe the other messages that say there's no work if you want...But from my own experience...there is more than enough work to go around. Don't expect to get rich here...but you can still live a decent lifestyle.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Mabuhay Reply with quote

Magandang Hapon Po !

Let me just add a couple of pesos to this thread.

I taught English in Makati (the business district of Metro Manila)

for about 2 years back in 1996 & 1997.

The key to success in this particular market

if there is (or was) such a thing as a key -

is to network with the expat communities

or with expat-managed companies who have

their top managers stationed in Manila.

Most Filipinos are generally fluent enough

(or too poor) to pay for English lessons,

so

most or all of your students will be:

a) Japanese

or

b) Chinese

Making those contacts - and developing them into long-term gigs

requires a bit more effort in The Philippines than other markets.

That's why most people say "don't bother."

Plus, you could wait a lifetime to actually see a TEFL job advert

for a school in The Philippines, although there's a school in

Cebu that advertises here on Dave's from time to time:

http://easylearn-english.com/ (ALTA Cebu)

While I was there, I taught a company class of Chinese managers at Intel Manila;

a solid, well-paid contract arranged through free-lancing at a Makati language school -

'Makati Language & Study Center', managed by a Mr. & Mrs. Colayco:

http://www.worldwide.edu/ci/philippines/schools/12669.html

I also picked up several privates; mostly Japanese Execs & housewives

who sort of, um ... 'passed me around' among friends & colleagues.

This snowballed into a major part of my teaching schedule!

I earned enough to live comfortably.

I think, if I remember correctly, I netted

somewhere around US $800 per month,

keeping my weekends free & not pushing myself too hard.

Just a tad less than I earn here in Bangkok.

the net result ?

It was a GREAT experience.

The traffic on EDSA was horrible, yes. And the daily

brown-outs & water-rationing were a real pain in the a$$

but ...

a cold bottle of San Miguel beer (and a "Hi Joe!") after jumping off the back

of a rickety old jeepney made those problems seem pretty insignificant.

In retrospect, it was loads of fun; even the brown-outs

and smashing giant c.o.c.k.roaches in my bedroom slippers. Laughing

And strictly imho; Filipinos are the most laid back,

tolerant, fun-loving people on the planet - bar none,

and less xenophobic than their Asian neighbors.

I would consider retiring there when the time comes

if I live that long.

If you're up for a crazy adventure,

and have some 'seed money' in your pocket,

I would not discourage you from trying your luck.

With schools like Berlitz now open for business,

you may have a better chance than you think:

Metro Manila Berlitz
Peninsula Court Building
8735 Paseo de Roxas
Makati City 1126
Phone: 63.2.817 9319
Fax: 63.2.817 9319

Hanggang sa muli !
Stosskraft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kent, I would like to thank you for not responding to my Philippines inquiry, but to very next one !!...lol

I was hoping you could elaborate on you teaching experiences in the Philippine's. I mentioned before about returning back to Thailand to teach, in CM but I was first going to take a vacation to PH. Now that I have done some research, it seems like it might be a possible alternative to Thailand. Would you agree or dis-agree with this? Also how would you recommend finding some work if I wish to extend my stay.

II am anxious to experience some good hearted fun and warm people. Would you mind drawing some comparisons between TH and PH? social life, teaching, extra curricular stuff (diving, snorkeling) and any thing else you can comment on.

Thanks again keep up the good work
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Stosskraft.

Keep in mind that my experiences in Manila took place over 8 years ago,

and TEFL market conditions do change, for better and for worse.

In that regard, there's one interesting development I failed to mention above.

A little over a decade ago, the United States was asked to leave its bases.

At about the same time, the government reversed its earlier practice of

using English as the L1 in Philippine school classrooms.

The result of that decision in the long term

may actually be good for the TEFL market.

I'd be interested in hearing more from people

like ppzz70, who are on the ground now.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent F. Kruhoeffer wrote:
A little over a decade ago, the United States was asked to leave its bases.

At about the same time, the government reversed its earlier practice of

using English as the L1 in Philippine school classrooms.

The result of that decision in the long term

may actually be good for the TEFL market.

Ah, that explains it.

I spent the last two weeks in the Philippines.. including 4 days in General Santos with my girlfriend's extended family for Christmas.

Amazing, ZERO of her extended family/relatives spoke any English at all. It was actually worse than being in Korea where I teach at a university. At least I can communicate basic stuff in Korea.

In Mindinao, there was zero communication whatsoever.. I was in shock. At least with her 100+ extended family over the X-Mas holidays.

Quite a bit different then when I was traveling around in Manila/Cebu and seemingly every single person I came across spoke seemingly fluent English.

Also when I've met general Filipinos even here in Seoul.. I've found that a handful are just extremely weak in speaking English so much so that they refuse to even try.

In other words.. many filipinos speak English well.. but there are also many who do not either. Perhaps it depends on where they are from in the Philippines.
gjunn_scott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: to stosskraft Reply with quote

I work for an international organization here in the Philippines and teach English after work and I notice that the market for ESL or ELT is quite huge and untapped (i'm a US born Filipino btw). I make around 10-15 USD/hour (I work 5 hours a day but there are lots on my waiting list) teaching expats mostly but I was very surprised that many of my local friends want to study English and would actually spend money to learn good English.

The quality of ELT in the Philippines has waned over the years and now even big and multinational businesses here want to help lift the standards of ELT and language learning.

Reports by mutinationals including call center companies state that there is a dearth of good speakers needed for their job vacancies. These companies are disappointed as out of 100 applicants, all college graduates, only 1 or none can speak/communicate in proper English.

This is of course a good opportunity for business people who plan to put up a language school in the country.
guruengerish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: teaching Reply with quote

Well, I had to do a bit of a search to find where the Philippines were lurking, but here I am. Nice to see that someone wrote just yesterday.

I've been teaching in Asia for a few years, and interested in coming to the Philippines. nice to see that expat teachers are not excluded.

What's it like getting a work permit?
guruengerish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: English a L1 Reply with quote

Have had time now to read the older mails, and also a pleasant private mail, thank you.

I hadn't realised that the Philippines no longer used English as L1. Wow, that is surprising, especially as Malaysia went through this some years ago, mainly in an effort to get the Chinese at a disadvantage, but it backfired on them, as the country was soon at the stage where they could not communicate effectively overseas.

They have now reversed this ruling, and the country is catching up again.

In Indonesia, where English is the main overseas language, with only a trickle of Dutch now, they have been at a huge disadvantage, and only the well-educated can do business out of the country, as few overseas speak Indonesian.

So, yes; there must be a growing market for English learners in the Philippines, and no doubt the franchisers will move in soon!
gjunn_scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: work permit Reply with quote

I'm not sure how the work permit works though he he sorry but i'll try to do a research on that and post the info here.

I feel though that the government in not that strict on issuing visas and as I know, anyone is free to 'tutor' students and teach them in his house or the students' houses. A job in an institution is not that high paying and most of centers have opened recently target Korean students who come to the country to learn. Their programs are not meant for local speakers/learners of English.

One of the best way I think is to open a small institute and target Filipino students and young professionals. Most of these people nowadays want to get a job in call centers I think opportunities like these should be seized.
william wallace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: 3000 dollars ? Reply with quote

nil

Last edited by william wallace on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikhai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Future Perfect Reply with quote

I worked in the Philippines for quite sometime. Its a very beautiful country and the peopel are very friendly. Just have to be careful because the crime in Manila is kind of outrageous. I worked for a company called Future Perfect which passes its self off as a part of AIG Insurance Company. However this is totally absurd and complete rubbish. The company is using space in AIG's buidling because the owner of the company is the President of AIG BPSI in the PHilippines. They are not owned by AIG nor in anyway affliliated with them. They also do not pay on time and have you working extremely long hours with the promise of paid vacations. However this will never come. THere were several days I worked 18 hour days straight. I was never paid over time and even being paid on time was a hassle. I would advise anyone to stay clear of them. They do call center training which is booming in Manila these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: