Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh, please help this newbie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Oh, please help this newbie Reply with quote

Okay, I have an offer from a school in Turkey, but I have no work visa. The school assures me that I can work while on a tourist visa (not true) and that they will obtain my work visa for me while I am there (to the best of my knowledge, also not true.) Crying or Very sad

In order to get a work visa, I must have confirmation from a school that I will be working there. However, I have no "formal" proof that I have a job offer. Crying or Very sad

So... long story short: How do I go about obtaining a work visa for Turkey (I am in the US) and how long will it take? What are the consequences of working in Turkey IF I do decide to go there with only a tourist visa?

HELP OH PLEASE.... Confused
lajzar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, if you cannot start work legally immediately there, DO NOT TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE. There are many stories of teachers travelling at their own expense, expecting to be reimbursed, and the schools dragging their heels forever and eventually never doing the legal visa route.

If the school pays for the flight, by all means take it, but I personally would refuse to work until I have that legal work visa. Just make sure you have the return ticket and means of supporting yourself in the meantime.
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this dodgy practice in other areas but it is usually something used to attract nurses, waitresses or seamstresses. Once you arrive in Country they take your passport to get your work permit. Then you suddenly have no passport, no job, no work permit. Next you are forced to work as a prostitute or else. No that is not ESL, it is or else nobody ever hears from you again.

Please be very carefull!!!!
SweetOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is no way in "h e double toothpicks" that I would ever give anyone my passport. I am not a young, naive little thing. I have traveled around a bit (most recently in the Middle East) and have seen some scams. BUT, this is new. Thank you for your concern. However, if you were serious: wow the paranoia or if you were were being comical roflmao!!!
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will give up your passport to the foreign affairs office in China. It will be MIA for weeks and you will start to worry.
The post is no joke.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people in Turkey do not have a visa and they leave the country (train to Greece usually) every three months to get a new tourist visa.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest question: Can the school obtain my work visa for me (as they do in China?)
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about asking this question of the school?
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Turkey changes the goal posts , a lot !!! Reply with quote

Hi Sweet one

Cute name , as you can see I'm based in Turkey and have being here a while ,first you need a written offer of a job from this school to show your nearest embassy they can apply for a work visa for you this is before you set foot in the place optherwise you will have to leave the country at your expense at some time in the future to get it done anyway so DO İT NOW ok ! Next bear in mind NO school is going to PAY for your travel expenses this is down to you ,think about it if you were looking for staff are you going to pay for flight tickets ,no I don't think so . Most placers recruit from the local gene pool anyway if you have to travel here than make sure you have enough to live on for at least 2 months and a return ticket home ,this is a minimum requirement unless you like a lot of danger and excitement .
Assumming the school is in Istanbul you will have a wide choice of place to go to and all should help you with the relavent paperwork when you get here its not unknown for you to be working at the same time as your documents are being processed in Ankars ,as usual it takes time but as they say this is Turkey ,still wanna come ??? There are one or two websites to answer other questions try Turkish embassey .com they may help you as well . Good luck .
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, a friend of mine changed job from a dershane to a private university in Istanbul and he was able to get all his paperwork done through the post.i'm not sure how he managed it though.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Aaron, I have asked the school this question, but as I am discovering in this forum, they don't always tell the truth. Also, I have found conflicting information on the websites not related to the world of ESL. So.... my question was more or less posed to those who have actual experience in this regard. If anyone has ever obtained a work visa WHILE in Turkey, I would like to hear about it.

Richard, as always, you are a wonderful source of information and help. Thank you!
richard ame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Work visas et all . Reply with quote

Hi me again

Dmb , how your friend moved from a dershane to a private uni in Istanbul and did the paperwork in the post suggests that he (or she) had a lot of friends in high places,its something in all my years experience that I could only dream about.
Not actually have to do any running around ,full marks to the uni for arranging it they must have wanted your friend pretty badly this also suggests said friend is highly qualified which begs the question why work in a DERSHANE in the first place ,quite a quantim leap from one to the other,don't suppouse you would know the name of this university?
I used to travel to Greece by sea from the coastal resorts of Cesme, Bodrum , Kusadasi and even Marmaris the price varies between 30 - 50 dollars ,how does that compare with the train ?
Sweet one ,still a cute name ,hope the gen is useful try to get the visa before you get here your employer will be less than helpful some of these places are woefully unprepared to deal with the paperwork relating to foreign workers,my place is one of them and soon they will be the biggest employer of native English speakers on the Aegean . Once again good luck .
Dmb ,Whats that short for ??
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard, the uni was out near Buyukcekmece. sorry i can't rememmber the name. The dmb remains a secret. In my currnet job in the Gulf it's best to keep secrets. If I used my name then it could be used against me. Due to the nature of 'Wasta' STUDENTS can make up stories and get you fired. So if the management saw me write anything negative. It could be curtains. There is no such thing as job security in Qatar.[/i]
richard ame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: All a quiver in Quatar Reply with quote

Dmb you make it sound a hairy place as if you're loking over your shoulder all the time ,as you may of guessed I don't conceal my identity
(can't spell today ) but having said that not many people check this website from Turkey let alone Izmir ,indifference I think. Is it really worth the hassle working there? Even if you do earn a lot more there,are you any better off ,how long do you intend to stay I've being here nearly 10 years and will do another 10 easily,how about you ? Just curious.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard I was in Turkey for ten years and I have been out here for just under a year. After this little stint, like you, I will easily spend another ten years back in Istanbul. Again, like you, I would also like a summer house on the Agean Coast. I lived in Akcay, just up the coast from Ayvalik, for a year. This part of the world really is one of the most beautiful. Maybe we should'nt harp on about it so that it stays this way. I don't mean to make here sound so hairy. When you get to learn the rules and play the game, it's actually quite doable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: