Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CEC in the classroom????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d-train

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: CEC in the classroom???? Reply with quote

I'm just curious to know about the actual teaching at the Colleges of Technology. Is there a set curriculum or do people design their own lessons?? I know there are around 20 to 25 students in each class, what are the students like? Can anyone compare them to Japanese/Korean university students? I'm hoping that they are a little more creative and outgoing, but I'm really have no idea.
manoflettersk466

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: omani classroom Reply with quote

What you will teach on a daily basis is pretty well all laid out for you. It all comes down to the colleges from on high...somewhere in the Muscat department for colleges and higher learning.....The books, the lesson goals etc...and (at least at the college where I worked) the materials are not very inspiring/interesting or pertinent.
The students are great as individuals, but as a collective class do not expect to get many group activities going etc. then there is the male/female problem to deal with..........have fun!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the students become used to you... and to the other students in the class, they will be more outgoing than most Asian students. Arabs can be very talkative!!

But... few will accuse them of being overly creative. They have come from a school system based on memorization. If you are teaching reading, they only want to know what is 'THE' answer and just don't understand the concept that there is more than one possible way to interpret a reading.

Their basic skills will be very low and administrative expectations tend to be very high. The most emphasis will probably be on reading and writing since these will be their weakest skills.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: