Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteer in Morocco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavinsteele

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Volunteer in Morocco Reply with quote

Hi there, my girlfriend and I are currently volunteering in China, we are both teaching English here. We would like to travel to Morocco and find a project there, paid or unpaid with food and accommodation provided.

Can anyone suggest a program or job opportunity they might know of.

We will be travelling from the UK and would also appreciate any information on how you might have got to Morocco i.e. cheap flights or trains?

thanks in advance

Gavin
Noureli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is not a second language in Morocco so projects like this are very rare. Furthermore, only the rich learn English in Morocco. However, there are other volunteer jobs that include food and housing but they have nothing to do with teaching english. However, I am researching for you and if anything comes up I will write to you.
gavinsteele

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

Hi, we are just looking to volunteer, it does not have to be a teaching post. Thanks again

gavin
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to be rude here, just curious, even have some info to show I'm not so bad.

Why do you volunteer? There are tons of paid opportunities to do stuff.

How do you afford it all?
----------------------------------------
Anyway, when you've answered the above, read below.

Getting There

Flights to and from Morocco are extortionate. I would say only a minority of Moroccans ever leave their shores, although visa issues play a part too. From the UK, get a Ryanair or Easyjet flight to Jerez or Malaga in the south of Spain. From either, there are buses to Algeciras where the Tangiers ferry sails from, many times a day. It�s on www.

What to do there

Reading between the lines of my posts, and the lines themselves, you may think I�m no Morocco fan. And? Saying that, I�d like answers to my questions above, so here goes:

Teaching: Someone said that English in Morocco is no big deal. That�s true, but in my time there, I met English teachers from all over the country. Try contacting the Moroccan Association for Teachers of English. Their website is www.mate.org.ma. Many of those teachers I met were pretty desperate for resources.

Other stuff: Not my scene, but Medicin Sans Frontiers (or the Spanish equivalent) is big in the north of Morocco. You can probably guess why. If not, think Europe. I only know about them because an ex-colleague worked there. You can www. Unfortunately, they do pay, so any proceeds you might make should be sent for the attention of: the Hod Foundation c/o Ronny Q Bar, Kuala Lumpur.
medina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Volunteer in Morocco Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a program or job opportunity they might know of.

Save the Children (out of UK) operates in Morocco. They have close ties to the orphanage in Ait Ourir and other similar programs. The Cheshire Home also used to work with handicapped here. Maybe they still do.

Salams
nolefan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say forget about the volunteering part and just get a regular teaching position with one of the schools that advertise around these boards. proforma, a French company, put an add looking for a teacher in Rabat just a few weeks ago and they might still be looking one.

Also, you can try the websites for the American Language Center in Casablanca or Amideast in Rabat.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression they don't need the money.

I just wish I had the time to open a school and do some serious exploiting of such helpful types.
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noureli,
not only the rich learn English. English is taught at public schools.

There are volunteers in Morocco. The Peace Corps is there, and maybe VSO, but I doubt they could guarantee placement.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: There is volunteer work in Morocco Reply with quote

The orphanages always need help. Volunteering, unfortunately, is not part of the Moroccan culture. So there is lots of work to be done. There are many non-profits such as The High Atlas Foundation that you could inquire with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: