Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important decision...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Important decision... Reply with quote

I am an 18 year old Canadian male, just graduated from high school and thinking of taking a year off university to take a TESOL course and go teach englich abroad. My first preference is Thailand, but I would like your guys' honest opinions on whether you think I would be able to get by with just a TESOL certificate.

If not, where would a guy like me be best to go - I don't plan on making a million bucks, I just wanna break near even in the end. Or would my best bet be to stay home and continue with this after I get a degree? If at all possible, I do want to go now though...
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread on this board entitled "A List...Countries to Teach With No Degree..." Go check it out.

In my experience thus far, I suppose my degree is helping me on a subconscious level. (I majored in English Lit.) But when I teach...I use much of what I've learned while studying for my certification.

I can't really answer the last question your second paragraph though. I think it depends on you. You may get your cert, start teaching, and never want to stop.

On the other hand, you may get your certificate, teach, go to uni and earn your degree. You might prefer to take this route.

Something inside of me wants to lecture about the importance of earning your bachelors...At the very least, if you want, you could get it by correspondence.

*C76 steps back for a non-newbie to offer some advice*
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some time out and get some real life experience under your belt.
But FINISH that degree. If you do not finish, you will have regrets all of your life.
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not so much the knowledge of teaching that I'm concerned about, I feel that the TESOL certificate plus my own intellect should suffice. What I was more concerned about is whether I can even find work without the degree - but I see your points, thank you.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am an 18 year old Canadian male, just graduated from high school and thinking of taking a year off university to take a TESOL course and go teach englich abroad.

- tkrawczyk

My first thought upon reading your post was Oh, so young and probably so innocent to venture into the world of TEFL. If you were lucky enough to get into the right school working with the right people, it could be a wonderful life experience for you, a fantastic way to spend a year between high school and university. On the other hand, the field of TEFL has an abundance of scammers, slimy folks, dodgy characters, people looking to prey on the naive and the inexperienced.

If your goal is to see some of the world before starting university and if you can afford it, it might be much better to simply travel for a few months rather than try the EFL teaching route for a year. If you think a long-term stint in TEFL might be in your future, you could make it a point to visit some language schools and spend some time with EFLers during your travels. It would give you some insight into the real world of life in a foreign country working as an EFL teacher without getting yourself into situations that you may not be ready to handle.

Sorry if this comes across as sounding overly protective. Of course, the bottom line is that these are decisions you'll have to make for yourself.
double agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: young and canuck Reply with quote

howdy cowboy Embarassed

first let me break your sweet Canadian heart jus� a �litttllle baby.
You are too young. They wont hire you. Mad

They will SEE Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes how young and cute
you are and duck you over for your wages. Razz Razz Razz
They will lie to you and postpone your salary another day another week after the weekend Wink Wink Wink
and you will be broke and young with some foriegn dystentry or sumting. Shocked Shocked

Go travelling, finish your degree, get your TEFL better yet get a TEFL Diploma, the pay increases greatly in GOOD countries.

Go make a pile of money, in the middle east, japan, taiwan,
go back home, put a deposit on your FIRST house. Rent it out.
Go back travelling the world, and working while still SAVING.

You will be miles ahead of the game if you play it like this. The other
way WILL BE HARD and it will SUCK BIG TIME. Embarassed

Thailand aint so great I have been there and it is dirty and it
sucks big time. Go to Morocco for dddrrrruuuuggggssss..

Where are u from in Canada_

Try the CES
tkrawczyk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Saskatchewan, and I actually really like your idea. I have always been a little skeptical of teaching at 18, but one of my high school teachers, a young guy, told me that when he went to Thailand there were job offers like crazy, and he basically told me that I was a fool to not check it out. He said he lived like a king, and his stuff wasn't in Korea at the time, he would have never left. I think I probly will just travel around Asia, maybe Europe and South America as well.

Quick question though.. I've heard from a lot of people that tutoring makes up a large part of teachers incomes - would I be able to make some money teaching families under the table? Of course I wouldn't plan to make much money tutoring in Thailand, but maybe Taiwan or Japan, just a little to extend my travel funding. I beleive that if I really sold myself, and came across as real outgoing and happy, the Japanese would love me. But of course, that is just my ignorant opinion, would do you guys think?[/list]
double agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: furrrgiiittt bbbouuutt iiittt Reply with quote

Laughing

maybe 100 years ago when this TEACHER of yours
was in thailand getting laid by young underage thai girls
he felt like a king. SAD.

Razz
Now the market is saturated. Lots of places advertise
but few are GOOD. I mean few. Being so young they
wont hire you. Maybe if you were at least 22 ..but 18...
no way.

Maybe u will get lucky and get a tutoring job.
More than not, THEY WILL WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU!
Your money, your love, just send them 500 dollars a month
when you get back to Canada. They will LUUUVVVV u forever.

Most of Asia is out to take money outta your pocket. Being
western makes you a target.

Being young will make you a victim.

just travel for a month have fun be safe. Aids is big.
dont be silly and lose you health.
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much negativity here! Try China, forget Thailand.
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Getting your Bachelors Reply with quote

One travel bug you can cure while in college is to spend a year abroad at another university. If you're at a good university, your university may have 'sister universities' around the world in which they do exchanges. (This may mean your scholarship money MIGHT apply to your year abroad. And that much of the paperwork will be done by your school. You might also have a support systm built-in to such a program.)

Study a foreign language in college. Preferably an Asian language or Arabic (Sanskirt if you're interested in Asia). Language studies provide much cultural info.

Read all the county info/job discussion info on Dave's. That is an exercise MANY people should do to get a dose of reality. Before the Net, many foreign companies got away with badly mistreating their employees because nobody knew. Don't let that happen to you.

You can also get special 'summer student work permits' in many countries.

You need to visit your college's Overseas Dept. or Foreign Language Dept. or other student travel-study abroad office.

An educated person is always much easier, IMHO, to communicate with than an uneducated person. Not all people with degrees are educated, of course, and vice-versa. In general, college usually provides students with a basic intellectual advantage lacking in most high school students' education.

(I'm trying to couch my terms to avoid FLAMES.)

Etc.
MindTraveller
On vacation in Vancouver, BC Canada
double agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: good advice Mind Traveller Reply with quote

Dont take a year off. It will mess with your mind
and you will waste time. REALLY. Students who take
a year off, more than naught, never bother to come back, but talk about
how they are going back next year, next year, next semester, then they
are thirty...

Travel in the Summer, or the Winter duing Spring break.
I can highly highly highly recommend NEPAL. Embarassed
Been there three times. Better than the rest of Asia by far. You wil
get laid, smoke, buy explore, learn and not spend much money.

MindTraveller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Year Off - Advantages Reply with quote

I took a year off between my junior and senior year in college. At the time, I just ran out of money.

Looking back on it, it seems like I took an "emotional year off' to be in the real world. I learned to empathize with many people when I didn't even have enough money for a TV and a six-pack of beer although I was working full-time.

I goofed up, learned about living in the real world, missed college, and when I returned the next year, I was a more attentive and better student than earlier. I found my fellow students quite naive and had trouble relating to them. I could relate better to Viet Nam vets and other non-traditional students.

The 'no one returns after a break' thing scared me. But I had first hand knowledge. My father wasn't able to get through 4 years of college because of the Depression in the 30s. That definitely ruined his life. The fear of ending up working class and being a clerk in an office as I had been that year off - those two realities pushed me back into college for my final year, despite my lack of funds. I took out loans, didn't buy things, shared textbooks with friends, etc.

I thought I had suggested in my earlier note, to try and enter a 'third year abroad' program - not 'take a year off from college'. When I tried an overseas program, my scholarships wouldn't apply...... so I just got upset and quit college. But this was 25 years ago. International education is much more sophisticated now.

For most of us, life really is long. At 18, 20 and even 25, most of us WANT TO DO IT ALL and do it NOW. Fast.

Relax. It's far, far better to do it RIGHT then to mess up and cause yourself and people you love a multitude of problems. Think out of the box, but realize you live within a culture that DEMANDS certain things as rites of passage if you're going to climb the cultural ladder of sucess and profit. A college degree, including a Masters nowadays, is one of those rites of passage. Don't do it, and you're excluded from all sorts of long-term benefits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: