Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Republic of Georgia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Georgia etc........... Reply with quote

You are dead right! the war ended about 10 years ago,but the whole country is still plagued by instability and lawlessness-I went there in 1994 and it was not safe to go out alone,especially at night-you could still hear occasional distant fire from automatic weapons etc. which people accepted as "normal" and took little notice of!Admittedly things are a bit bettter nowdays,and although you may not hear gunfire etc. there are still major problems there which are further complicated by the fact that there are few foreigners living there,so you would be conspicuous,which is not a good thing,as you can see from the previous posts on this subject!
Once again,unless you are going to work at somewhere like the compound in Supsa on the Black sea,which is guarded and run by a foreign oil consortium,I wouldn't risk going to Georgia in the forseeable future-pity,because it was a nice place before and people were warm and friendly,just like the climate!
M.
slaqdog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: 550dollarsgood?? Reply with quote

Do you really think that $US550 is a good salary? I work in Baku and you need at least twice that amount to live well (A more realistic figure for the area is 1800$). Why do you guys put up with such low wages? Is it 'cos 'danger money means you get paid less? What gives? Seriously that is low, what are you gonna do sell your body or turn to kidnapping like the locals?
On the plus side Georgia is beautiful but be wary.
I am off there for a long weekend will let you know if I survive.
Also any good school will pay a flight for you (overland or boat from I Constantinople?). These romans are crazy! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: