Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there short-term contracts available in Prague?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadcliffefall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Are there short-term contracts available in Prague? Reply with quote

Hello to everyone and a big "thank you" and "I really appreciate it" in advance to anyone who can help me with what I know is a fairly vague and general query.....

Is it possible to get short-term positons in EFL/ESL teaching in Czechoslovakia? I am hoping to do 'stints' around the world for a year and was wondering if it is worthwhile researching ways of teaching in Prague for three months.

I have taught in Korea for almost two years and am happy to give advice, information to anyone wanting to try teaching there, in Seoul or Incheon in particular.

Thanks again
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prague's something of a centre for teacher training courses, and many of the newly certified teachers start out teaching in the city. This means that the market's relatively full of teachers and there's a fair amount of competition.
Schools will be less likely to hire you and more likely to hire one of the many candidates who are more willing to make a longer commitment to the area.
That said, there is always some turnover, and you may be able to land something.
By the way, Czechoslovakia no longer exists. However, if you're open to positions in either the Czech Rep or Slovakia, you may also want to check Bratislava - I think there's more need there than in Prague, but other posters may know more about that.
parrothead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your nationality, and do you plan on teaching legally? It is much more difficult finding legal employment if you do not hold an EU passport. If you are not from the UK/Ireland, and you don't plan on staying longer than 3 months, I don't think the odds are very good for you. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it can take a couple of months just to get visa/permits/etc sorted.

That being said, a high percentage of teachers teach privately and are illegal (I'm not saying I approve; just stating the facts). There are high Korean and Japanese expat populations, so perhaps your background would help you find a niche in the market (as Spiral said, you will have to compete with a lot of other teachers...at least in Prague). I posted flyers in Japanese and was able to amass a sizeable group of private students during my time there.

Good luck!
newyorkbunny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am also seriously considering going to the Czech Republic to teach for around 3 months as I plan to travel to several countries to teach in 2006. However, I'm an Australian citizen and do not possess an EU passport.

Is it possible to go over on a tourist visa and then have a school sponsor a work permit? Has anyone else done that for such a short period?

Many thanks in advance.

newyorkbunny
sadcliffefall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Short-term Prague teaching Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for replying to my query so soon and thanks for the information. I am an EU passport holder. My nationality [ TECHNICALLY FOR THE PURPOSES OF WORK /TRAVEL IS IRISH ] though I was born in New Zealand [ don't have the accent though ]. I also have a CELTA which I think is prefered in Europe isn't it? Anyway, thank you so much for your help.Ange
parrothead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an Irish passport then I don't think you should have too much difficulty. The only problem, as previously mentioned, is finding an employer who will hire you for a 3 month gig. You can, however, apply for a business license (zivnostensky list) and contract yourself out to various language schools; basically become an entraprenuer and set your own schedule (although many schools prefer to pay "cash in hand" and don't care about such things). Your CELTA, your EU passport, and your previous teaching experience will be very helpful whatever you do.

The message board at www.expats.cz is a good place to start. Lots of potential clients/schools post on the site, and it's a good place to begin searching for accommodation, visas, etc.

Newyorkbunny, arriving on a tourist visa is a very common thing to do. Make no mistakes though, you will have to hit the ground running and hopefully have interviews and potential jobs lined up, because getting your legal work documentation can be a timely process (if you are only staying for 3 months). If you don't speak the language, the Czech bureaucracy can be a real will-breaker. It's perhaps one reason why so many expats work illegally.

Also, a 'recent' study found Prague to be the 28th most expensive city in the world for expats (relative to income). It's not that cheap anymore, and teaching English hardly pays the bills. I'm hardly objective, but going outside of Prague may be a better option. Moravia, especially Olomouc, would be far cheaper, less competitive, and less touristy.
comenius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my experience in teaching in Prague a number of years ago, most schools have courses that begin and end at certain times of the year. If you happen to arrive in the middle of a semester, you might have a tough time scaring up work, unless a teacher has bailed and left the school in the lurch. Also, most schools would want you to commit to the entire duration of the course that you would be teaching. As long as your three month stint enables you to do so, you should be in good shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: