Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment and cellphone questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chairman Roberto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Apartment and cellphone questions Reply with quote

I've been spoiled by the free, fully furnished apartment I was given in the People's Republic of China. I mean, they give you all the furniture, kitchenware, TV, VCD player, and an airconditioned room. Utilities (except for phone) are free. Plus a free computer with a printer and DSL connection.

I doubt I'll experience such pampering in Taiwan. So here's a few newbie questions: Are there furnished apartments in Taiwan, or do I have to budget for furniture, TV, and a possible computer? Also, does the landlord expect, on the average, how much of a deposit...first and last month's rent? I understand apartments outside of Taibei run anywhere from 6,000 to 10,000/a month.

I'm also considering getting a cellphone here. Cellphones seem to run about 1,000RMB ($120) here. Are they cheaper in Taiwan? Should I hold out until I get there?

thanx for the info...

Roberto
Okami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get furnished apartments, but they seem uncommon and the furniture is of a variable quality depending on how nice the apartment is. Most of the stuff you want can be purchased in the used appliance markets cheaply depending on where you're at.

As for rent, everything is negotiable, especially with 1,000,000+ empty homes in Taiwan. Normally it is two months rent as deposit and first months rent to move in. Some landlords will work with you and you can pay the 2nd month of the deposit over the first 2-6 months. Expect an apartment to set you back about $1,000US, because you will have to buy things too.

Cellphones are easy to get. You can get a used one at many stores, just look for the Chinese characters. A used one will cost less than $100USD for a decent one. Then you can do the whole pay as you go sim card thing. If you sign a 2 year contract with Chungwa telecom, they'll give you a pretty nice, new phone. They also have relatively good service and information(dial 106 fr English service) is easy to use and generally prompt and won't hang up on you most of the time Confused Rolling Eyes . You will need an ARC and possibly a guarantor for the cellphone contract with Chunghwa. It depends on their mood and boss.

CYA
Okami
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: