Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA, TEFL? What's best for teaching in Germany?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JenniferH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: CELTA, TEFL? What's best for teaching in Germany? Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm a newbie planning to move to Germany next fall. I'm hoping to cobble together a living by freelance copyediting/writing and teaching English. Does it make a difference whether I get CELTA or TEFL certification? Is one better than the other for finding jobs in Deutschland? It seems that CELTA certification is significantly more expensive than TEFL.

Thanks for your help!
poro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on your German skills, Jenni.

They will be far more important to you than any distinction between CELTA and TEFL ever will be, because that's what opens the door.
JenniferH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Poro. I'm doing just that. I have basic knowledge of German, and I'm taking another class in January. I also have family over there with whom I can practice and brush up my skills.

Part of my reason for going there is to become fluent, so I understand the importance of speaking the language.

So I take it that it doesn't matter whether I do CELTA or TEFL, as long as I have one? I've read about people picking up teaching jobs without any certification, but given the German economy and the competition, I imagine that's pretty tough these days.

Thanks again,
Jennifer
poro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JenniferH wrote:
So I take it that it doesn't matter whether I do CELTA or TEFL, as long as I have one? I've read about people picking up teaching jobs without any certification, but given the German economy and the competition, I imagine that's pretty tough these days.

Yes, it is possible to get a job without a teaching qualification, and I've known many who have done this in Germany. Some worked for private schools that trained their own recruits; others were hired by companies through contacts; and some even started their own private schools.

Of course, I only know what I've seen myself and heard from others, but I believe employers value teaching experience most of all, followed by linguistic ability, followed by teaching qualifications. The best is any combination of the above three.

CELTA or TEFL? I hope someone more knowledgable than me can help, because I dont know. Aren't these qualifications obtained via the internet and not from universities?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: