Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good place to go?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildberry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Good place to go? Reply with quote

I'm stuck. As a newbie I can use all the advice I can get. Where is a good country to start off teaching. There are so many choices on my list of places I want to go, I don't want to jump the gun and end up in a hell hole.
Thanks
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: What's good for you? Reply with quote

Dear Wildberry,
Ohmigosh - are you likely to get some fairly rude replies. Your question.
" Where is a good country to start off teaching "
you see, is really unanswerable since what would be a " good country " depends so much on what kind of person you are. Your inquiry reminds me of some I get here in the Kingdom from people who are considering coming here:

" Will I like it there? "

You need to tell us a lot more about you, about what you're looking for, about what would define " a good country " in your specific case.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: and don't forget ... Reply with quote

Dear Wildberry:

To follow up on johnslat's sound advice; it also helps to know what your qualifications are ... before we can give you any concrete suggestions. eg: Do you have a BA? an MA? in what field? A TEFL certificate? any relevant teaching experience?

There are 'Hell Holes' in every country, by the way. If you give us more input, we might be able to stear you away from some of them. Wink

Regards,
keNt
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Good place to go? Reply with quote

Wildberry wrote:
As a newbie I can use all the advice I can get. Where is a good country to start off teaching.

Why do you want to go to a foreign land? To teach obviously, but what do you want to do in your private time?
Question
Do you want to see nature, meet a new people, explore the culture, etc? Do you like tropical weather, or would you prefer a wider mix of seasons? What sorts of activities do you do in your spare time?
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Before You Go ANYWHERE, Ask Yourself These Questions Reply with quote

!.Do I really want to teach English overseas,or am I just interested in a vacation overseas? There is nothing wrong with just a vacation if that is what you want.
2.Am I prepared to put up with the bitter as well as the sweet if I teach overseas?(There are inevitably problems,sometimes only minor,sometimes very major.)
3.Should I do something else besides teaching overseas?(Generally,TESOL is a very unstable profession).

The other posters gave you very good and courteous advice.You are lucky some of the people posting on this board have not seen your thread yet.Some posters are not so.....courteous.

The others are right.You have to tell us more about your qualifications,likes,dislikes,etc.We cannot tell you where to go Rolling Eyes if we do not know these things.I hope your post is an honest one and not just some smart a--ed troll farting around.
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice has come your way, first poster! Tell your predicament to a hirer and see if he thinks along the same lines as yourself!
They have choices too, and I mean CHOICES!
michaeld.chicago

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Good place to go? Reply with quote

i'm going to colombia because i want to go somewhere i've never been and they have some good c.
the others are right - pick a spot you think you'd like to go, visit there if you have the dough.
go there and get a job. if you don't like it move to another country or city.

why does anyone go anywhere?
it's the same as moving to another state - you have a reason to go and you go. if you don't know anything about the place you have to (or want to) go then research it on the internet.

what the hell is wrong with you? did you just get out of 6th grade? we're not your parents and further - if we all knew the perfect spot to go we'd already be there. i'm going into a rant - i'll stop writing now before i say something mean.
besides, my dog has kennel cough and i need to go wipe up some phlegm off the floor.

good luck -
if you've moved, i'm curious - where are you and do you like it? is it everything you've always dreamed of?

love,
michael
michaeld.chicago

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Good place to go? Reply with quote

i'm going to colombia because i want to go somewhere i've never been and they have some good c.
the others are right - pick a spot you think you'd like to go, visit there if you have the dough.
go there and get a job. if you don't like it move to another country or city.

why does anyone go anywhere?
it's the same as moving to another state - you have a reason to go and you go. if you don't know anything about the place you have to (or want to) go then research it on the internet.

what the hell is wrong with you? did you just get out of 6th grade? we're not your parents and further - if we all knew the perfect spot to go we'd already be there. i'm going into a rant - i'll stop writing now before i say something mean.
besides, my dog has kennel cough and i need to go wipe up some phlegm off the floor.

good luck -
if you've moved, i'm curious - where are you and do you like it? is it everything you've always dreamed of?

love,
michael
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with johnslat. Why? Read on.

The very first statement in the FAQ for this forum is as follows:

Quote:
Please try to include as much pertinent information as possible. Where are you thinking of going? What's your nationality? What qualifications do you have? Circumstances vary from person to person and from place to place, so the more you tell us, the more we can help you.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE BORES ABOVE=============GET ON A AIRPLANME AND GO TO VSCAMBODIA THSATS ACAMVBODIA VCAMBODIA CAMBODIA THSTAS IT THATSI IT Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy YOU WILL NEVER REGRET I TFO R THE REST OF YOUR COTTONPICKIN LIFE----
CAMBODIA
michaeld.chicago

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just don't go to the same school that khmerhit went to - they obviously don't include spelling in their studies.

Razz

just kidding, khmerhit.... if that is you're real name... i'm sure vscambodia is relkahally nciidsce!
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Khmermit's defense I must tell you that he was quite drunk when he made that post.
He will probably explain when he wakes up tomorrow or the next day. Razz
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need advice too. What time should I get up in the morning ? What do you think I should have for breakfast ?

Is it hard being grown-up ?
michaeld.chicago

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's raining out should i take an umbrella?
if i have to go pee pee should i take my thing out before i start?
should i eat tunafish for breakfast?
should i pay my bills?
am i being sarcastic?
is there any such thing as a dumb question? answer - i used to think 'no' but after hearing 'where should i go?' i'm beginning to question my answer.

sorry, but you really need to think before you type and then read it out loud before you hit 'submit'.

one more question - should i hit 'submit' now? hmmmm.... obviously i answered 'yes' to that one AFTER I READ IT OUT LOUD TO MYSELF!!!!!!!
Canuck2112

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you care about how much money you make? Asking yourself this question will greatly focus your search. There are a lot of great countries to teach in, but reading the other forums leads me to believe that you'd be fortunate to break even in many of them, especially as a newbie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: