Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canuck, Looking to teach in Japan but need a hand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevej33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Canuck, Looking to teach in Japan but need a hand Reply with quote

I have read story after story of unhappy people, I need a little positive feedback. What is the best way to secure a opportunity in Japan, I am degreed, TESOL certified and excited about living in Japan.

Can anyone give me pro's and cons of working with one of the big companies such as AEON, GEO, NOVA etc.. maybe give suggestions on what to look for and what to ask for before i sign a contract with an employer. Moreover does anyone know a great school and company to work for and why?
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: my take Reply with quote

Steve,

Drop me a line by email and I'll answer your questions.

Briefly, NOVA flies you to Japan. Some of the others offer return airfare if you complete their contract.

NOVA has the least amount of vacation days.

NOVA has a non-fraternization policy with students.

NOVA will charge you the full rent of your apartment even if you share it.

NOVA's class schedule is pretty heavy. Four in a row, then lunch/dinner, then four more in a row.

But, as I mentioned above, they fly you over and sponsor your visa.

GEOS has managerial problems, as manifested by the reduced lifespan of their teachers in the past years (down from 2 years to less than a year), and they have a fair amount of paperwork that you must complete at the end of your work day (9pm), so you don't get out for another 45 minutes.

But, they sponsor you.

AEON and ECC seem to have the least problems reported.

The biggest benefit from these places is that they interview you from abroad and sponsor your visa. Compare the disadvantages carefully. Each one has its own web site with FAQs.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would agree with Glenski's observations re NOVA.

But they don't pay for your air fare - At least not when I came over in 1999.

I would still use them for the visa and then, if you find it tough going, break away from them and get something with better pay, less hours and better working conditions.

But again, unless Nova has become a kinder, gentler Nova, they won't be paying for either your air fare or your apartment.

I can give you some info on Nova should you want to PM me or send me an e-mail.

Yrs.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: yer right,no airfare Reply with quote

oops, thanks, Sunpower. My mistake. Haven't looked at NOVA's web page in a while. They DON'T pay airfare. Here is what they say:

"New instructors usually opt to join one of our scheduled group flights which are carefully arranged to optimize routings and arrival times. Discount rates have been negotiated with major carriers to help reduce the cost for our instructors. Helpful Nova staff will be at the airport to meet your group and assist you to your new home."
from www.teachinjapan.com (NOVA home page)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: