Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions, quesitons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anisima

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: questions, quesitons Reply with quote

Ok, so I have some pretty country specific questions, although I posted in the Spain forum and haven't gotten much response. So I thought I would post here in the hopes that someone might be able to give me some advice or comment on questions that I have. Thank you in advance...I need all the help I can get!

I am 21 years old and currently a senior at a University in the United States and will receive a BA degree in Spanish at the end of this year. I have done a bit of research (on the internet) and am very interested in entering the field of ESL after graduation. I have spent some time living in Spain previosly and really fell in love with the country and its people. That, combined with the fact that I would like to enter graduate school and study Spanish fuel my desire to return to the peninsula. I don't have the money to study there or to be a tourist, working is a must for me. I'm attracted to ESL because I really do love teaching, in fact it runs through my blood, my family is FILLED with teachers. That's my basic info...so here are my questions for all you experienced folk!

1. First of all, I realize that working in the EU is not legal for U.S. citizens, but it looks as though it is not impossible in Spain. Can anyone give me some more insight on this topic? Where do most Americans tend to find work? Do they have to sacrifice pay etc? What would happen if I were to get caught working illegally?

2. My absolute dream and goal would be to find a job in Seville or in Andalusia. The reason is that I am familiar with the city and have a handful of friends there, being close to their support would be wonderful. Is this even a slightly realistic goal? It seems like work there is hard to come by. Although I think I would have a place to stay while I look for work in Seville.

3. Insurance?? I have never bought insurance in my life! Can anyone recommend a company or way to go about this?

4. I have looked into taking a TEFL certifying course held in Seville and given by TEFL International. Has anyone taken this specific course? Are there others given in Seville?

5. Is there any way I can boost my resume in this year to come? Do companies recognize volunteer work as valid experience?

6. Working papers....can/should I start this proccess before coming over?

***7. Are there any U.S. citizens out there working in Spain right now that can give me some personal advice or encouragement? Anyone working in Andalusia? I would just like to know if someone out there is making it work!!

Wow, gosh that's a lot of questions! Don't feel like it's all or nothing on answering them...I will take any little piece of advice I can get!

Muuuuuuchas Gracias,
anisima
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about Americans, but there is a Canadian author called Dennis Bock who taught English in Madrid for several years. it says so in his bio blurb. I went there for a holiday and met a very crap Canadian teacher who had been there for a while. I doubt he had a BA.

How? I dunno. I also know a guy from Phoenisx who taugh in Prague and worked illegally in East Germany, among other places. he didnt have a BA or even certs, but he was young and a hit with the women. Ever see the movie Barcelona? Lots of yanks. You're sure to find a way.

Hey! somebody give this young woman some advice !!
M.K.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend the book Teaching English Abroad by Susan...dangit I can't remember her last name. You can find it on Amazon or at Barnes & Noble. I read the whole thing cover to cover (and did hours upon hours of online research) before making a decision about where to teach. It has a section on every country, and tells how to difficult or easy it is to work in each place legally, and lists schools and their contact info. I found that several schools in "impossible for Americans to work legally" countries actually say in this book that they do not prefer EU citizens over Americans/Canadians. So there is hope. It's just not as easy to find work due to more competition, and it won't pay well. As a general rule, any place that looks like a postcard will pay peanuts because they CAN. Any place that's not so picturesque or desireable will pay better because they HAVE TO.
Good luck with Spain, if that's where you end up Cool And don't let enyone discourage you by telling you it' s impossible. It's not impossible, it just might be difficult, that's all.
Broccoli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching English Abroad by Susan Griffith 4 ed. Smile
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broccoli, you Smarty Pants you! Very Happy Anyway, it's a valuable resource for those trying to decide where to go. It saved me from going to Prague at least Shocked
anisima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the tip about the book! I went and requested it from my book store yesterday. Can't wait till it comes in and I can check it out! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: