Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Prague: Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icebear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Teaching in Prague: Questions Reply with quote

Hey All,
I'm planning to teach English in Prague for a year beginning next August and was hoping I could get some input from the posters here. Some basic background information: I'm from Alaska, going to school in Colorado, and will receive my degree in economics this May. I spent a semester in Prague last year and miss it very much. I'm planning on going to graduate school, but feel like now is the most opportune time to go back and live in Prague for a year or so, as opposed to once I'm saddled down with financial burdens from graduate school. And a career, or a family, or whatever the hell else may arise in 5 years. I will be debt free, which seems to be a big issue for many inquiring on this site (I don't understand how you can plan to make money doing this, but whatever).

How easy is it to eek out a living in Prague as an english teacher?

I'm planning on arriving next August to look for the job due to the school year starting then, what is considered an average time to spend on the job search?

I see the average salary comes out to around 20,000 Kc a month, but I'm not sure how this is taxed. Is this figure take home? If its untaxed, how much could one expect to net?

I've read that there can be considerable delay between beginning a job and receiving your first paycheck. How long is average?

The above salary of 20,000 Kc a month is usually listed with 20-25 hours a week of teaching. Is this accurate? Or does this exclude things like travel (which I've read is a bitch)?

Any comments on noteworthy or avoidable TEFL certificate programs there? From what I've gathered TEFL Worldwide Prague and Language House are fine, but aside from that comments seem mixed, especially concerning the CELTA/Trinity programs.

If I know I want to live in Prague for one year is there any reason for me to go for the CELTA/Trinity deal?

Any other advice, comments, etc... as I mentioned I've lived in Prague and loved everything about it for those 4 short months, so I know its a place I enjoy, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to enjoy it a bit more.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of teachers on the market in Prague (lots of people love the city, and it's a bit of a training centre hotbed, as you know), so'you'll have some competition, but with a cert from either of the schools you mentioned, you should be fine. August is a great time to land jobs for September. You'll need to front yourself for two to four months. Obviously, you're making no money while training, then even if you grab a job immediately, schools pay monthly - at the end of the month worked. You should also count on paying minimum two months rent up front (one month's worth for security fee).
Yes, you can eke out a living - but don't count on being able to fund international travel or unlimited partying/eating out/etc even in the country.
And, yes, 20-25 hours is normal, but you will have to factor in travel time on top. Yes, it's a beep!
As far as advice about the city - it's fantastic, but also plan to get out into the smaller towns whenever you have time. Prague's not the whole story.

Best!
parrothead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second what Spiral wrote.

In regards to certification, do you plan on a career in EFL/ESL? Or are you just looking for a job to support you during your year in Prague? I don't know if a CELTA/Trinity course is necessarily cost productive if you only plan on teaching for one year. A cheaper TEFL course may suit your needs just as well. If you are just looking for the experience of living and working in Prague, perhaps that CELTA money would be better spent on housing and start up costs.

But you are the economics major, so perhaps you know these sort of things better than I do...
icebear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parrot, no, I'm not looking into a long career in EFL/ESL. I merely would like to enjoy another year in a city I loved before moving on to a grueling graduate program.

As far as concerns of not being able to afford travel, while I was studying in Prague I managed to visit pretty much all the countries I'd hoped too save Austria, so I don't have a raging travel bug like most people. I'd prefer to get to the know both Prague and the CR in general better, since I spent so much of my semester outside of the country oddly enough.

As it is I could not save anymore money at all and arrive there with around $2,500 to throw around, which sounds like a decent amount, but I'm trying to push that up a bit by working more this spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: