Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scoping the scene
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyscott84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Scoping the scene Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in knowing what the the ESL scene is like back in OZ?
Just if I ever get back to Australia it might be a good idea to continue my teaching.

Is it difficult to get into?

Cheers in advance.
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends where you want to go to, and the amount of experience you have. Brisbane is pretty good for just about anybody, but places like Melbourne and Sydney seem a bit more picky. I think ACE in Perth has been advertising for about 6 months now..
andyscott84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then luckily my home base is in Brisbane. Any good schools you can recommend?
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for anything that is NEAS Accredited. http://www.neasaustralia.com/ That way they will pay you according to the award, and you are ensured of working for a school that at least cares a little bit about quality.

I only worked in Brisbane for a couple of months a year and a half ago, so I wouldn't like to give recommendations based on such a short amount of experience. Most of what I have heard is just hearsay anyway. Go with your gut, and if it doesn't work out, there's enough schools there that you could probably get another job fairly easily.

Good luck!
Lozwich.
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of quals. are the schools looking for?

Would a MA in TESL and several years experience give me an edge?
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!

Being an Australian national, or young enough to take advantage of a working holiday visa would help too. I think the NEAS website lists the qualifications staff at accredited schools must have.
andyscott84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a person had many years of experience teaching, could that then replace having a BA? Maybe someone has had experience with this?
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info is only for working at NEAS accredited schools, but from their website,

Quote:
"Colleges may employ teaching staff who have a recognised degree or diploma and an appropriate TESOL qualification, but who do not have either a recognised teaching qualification or 800 hours classroom teaching experience, as long as there is written evidence that the individual teacher has demonstrated outstanding competence in TESOL.

Such evidence may include:
� a higher than pass grade in their TESOL qualification;
� documents furnished by previous employers;
� references from TESOL course directors

This evidence must be retained by the College and made available to NEAS representatives when requested.

At no time may a college have more than 20% of its teaching staff employed under the provisions described in Note 5."

So basically, there are all these provisions, but then that 20% rule allows schools to get around them! Laughing
andyscott84

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the other way around? I have no degree, but have been teaching English for two years, going on three.

I'll find something about it, but if anyone out there knows a place then I'm sure we'll all be glad to hear it.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says in the quote if you have 800 teaching hours you can get around the no degree thing. All you have to do is bring letters from your previous employers saying how many hours you worked a week (or month) and for how long, and if it adds up to 800 you'll be in! Laughing

Good luck!
Lozwich.
andyscott84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I must have misread that. I've done about 2000 hours so far so I should be all right.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how strict it is at all schools, but where I worked they also used the amount of hours of teaching experience to determine how much pay you got. The only way I could do this to the satisfaction of the DOS was to show her actual letters. This might not be the case at all schools, but you might want to start getting things like that together before you get to Oz.
Super Mario

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyscott, I came back from China mid '04 to Adelaide. Finding work, in both migrant ed and ELICOS was pretty straight forward. In fact, my OS experience was a bonus.
However, tenures were brief: most schools are into short term contracts, and whilst getting another one was not a problem, there's no security of tenure, and also several unpaid weeks a year.
So I won a 7 year position teaching high school ESL: downsides? Working with kids, meetings, extra duties. Upsides though are good salary, excellent paid vacations.

The catholic system is often advertising, and current migrant intakes from Africa means there's a pretty good demand in new arrival centres.

www.careerone.com.au seems to indicate Brisbane and Perth have a fair demand.
lozwich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario wrote:
So I won a 7 year position teaching high school ESL: downsides? Working with kids, meetings, extra duties. Upsides though are good salary, excellent paid vacations.

The catholic system is often advertising, and current migrant intakes from Africa means there's a pretty good demand in new arrival centres.

Congrats Super Mario! Do you have to have a Dip Ed to do ESL at high school? That sounds like a great way to work in ESL and live in Australia!
Super Mario

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lozwich, you need a teaching diploma or BEd to gain registration.
Canada, NZ and Australia have reciprocal recognition in place, which may help some people out there. I'm sure a qualification from the UK, US etc would also pass muster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: