Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compare teaching in Taiwan and.....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasigoreng

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Compare teaching in Taiwan and.....? Reply with quote

My only teaching experience has been Taiwan and I have not enjoyed it: don't like the environment, the kids, or the culture.

I'm considering teaching in Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, or Latin America. But if it's going to be like Taiwan....never mind.

I welcome feedback from teachers who have experienced teaching in Taiwan and can compare it (teaching, students) to other countries.

thank you
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Thailand Reply with quote

What exactly do you hate about Taiwan's "environment"? The lack of imaginative architecture, the air pollution, that international cuisine means McDonald's and Sizzler, too many little motorcycles...? Culture: you mean the narrow-minded "family values", the striving towards corporate slavery, the double-takes whenever a WAIGOREN happens by...?

If that's the stuff you mean, stay away from Thailand and Indonesia (and SEA in general)...this stuff is all magnified down there, with the added bonus of Third World inconveniences like peddlers, two-tiered pricing systems, absolutely pitiful wages for ESL teachers, garbage rotting in the hot sun, cockroaches, etc. Except Thailand has it all over Taiwan in the food department.

But at least in Taiwan you can save some decent money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: