Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan Teaching Schedule?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Giesler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Taiwan Teaching Schedule? Reply with quote

What's the normal teaching schedule in Taiwan? In Korea I taught a split shift - 7-10am and 6-9pm. I'm interested in working for ELSI in Taipei and I'm wondering if the split shift is the norm. Thanks for any info. -Dan
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiwan Teaching Schedule? Reply with quote

Dan Giesler wrote:
What's the normal teaching schedule in Taiwan? In Korea I taught a split shift - 7-10am and 6-9pm. I'm interested in working for ELSI in Taipei and I'm wondering if the split shift is the norm. Thanks for any info. -Dan

I can't speak for ELSI, but it depends on your school. I have an interesting schedule. I teach adults, with some kids classes in the middle. I work on the weekends but have two consecutive days off during the week (same two, not a fluctuating thing), so my "weekend" is a little different than the usual Saturday & Sunday grind - which was to my asking sicne EVERYBODY is out on the weekends in Taiwan. I prefer to have my days off when NOBODY is trying to do their shopping or spend their down time while I try to enjoy my miniscule work reprieve. Two days a week I work (I include down time between classes if it's under 3 hours) 12 hours a day. Two days a week I work three hours each day. One day I work seven hours. That's a total of 37 hours or so. The biggest down time I have is 2.5 hours two of those days. They pack the classes close to each other so it works out. Longest break is 2.5 hours on thoe long days: enough tiem to eat and relax and get my ehad together. I have two 30 minute breaks elsewhere so I can enjoy a cola and a glance at the newspapers. As far as I know, technically, there are no split shifts here. Most adult schools here begin classes between 8:30-10am and some go as late as 10pm. Mine closes shop around 9:30. It was my choice to spend 12 hours over two days so I could have a relaxed schedule the rest of the week (I include travel time and technically only have one class twice a week during the "three hour" days, which are thechnically 1hr50min classes - AND I can sleep in every other day: which I LOVE). No splits though, like those that are common in Hellrea, er "Korea."

You worked for ECC? BCM? Pagoda? Just curious based on your hours. I'm guessing ECC. It's not important, but I'm just curious. You will hate a lot of things about Taiwan, but you will love it here compared to Korea, and wonder why you chose hell over purgatory when you made the leap across the pond!
Twisted Evil
Sunpower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find Your schedule may actually end up looking like a teaching schedule in Korea or Japan.

Most of the work is in the mornings and eveings with afternoons on the slow side.

This is what I've got going on at the moment:

Monday
10:30am - 12:20pm
5:30pm - 7:30pm

Tuesday
9:30am - 11:45am
6:00pm - 8:pm

Wednesday
10:30am - 12:20pm
6:00pm - 8:00pm

Thursday
9:30am - 11:45am
6:00pm - 8:00pm

Friday
8:30am - 12:20pm
6:50pm - 9:50pm

Saturday
10:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 4:00 pm

Sunday
9:30am - 11:30am
b
itchy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a really crappy schedule. The one I had was 28 hours a week, 2:00 to 8:30 Monday to Friday. Sounds like they have you working two shifts for one paycheque. I hope they're paying you overtime for being two teachers at the same time (in Korea I was three teachers at the same time, but they paid me overtime - otherwise I would have walked out the door so fast it would have made the wallpaper peel - they knew it too).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: