Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is a good place to work in Poland?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Where is a good place to work in Poland? Reply with quote

Hi, everybody,

I'm looking for a job in Poland to start in September, and I've got a few offers/options on the table. Does anybody have any info/experience of living and working in Lodz, Warsaw, Stettin or Gdansk? If so, I'd really love to hear from you. Thanx.

Rob
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Go with Gdansk Reply with quote

1.Warsaw is an expensive dump.
2.Lodz is a dump,
3,Stettin is not beautiful, but it is interesting,and close to Germany.
4.Gdansk is interesting,lots to do...the best one of the ones you mentioned...
5.Other nice cities...Wroclaw in western Poland, Koszalin on the Baltic,Krakow(although it is expensive).
I have lived and taught in Poland. Best of luck.Have fun. Smile
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warsaw might be more expensive but you earn twice as much here so you can afford it. It certainly is not a dump. Warsaw has more good cafes than the rest of Poland combined. For example I was in Gdansk a couple of weeks ago, the only halfway decent cup of coffee I had was in Coffee Heaven, they have one store in Gdansk, and 5 in Warsaw!

bnix is just bitter and twisted because the last time he came to Warsaw we ran his sorry self out of town!
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: good places Reply with quote

Poznan.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bnix on Warsaw... It's an expensive dump.. But then again, if I lived there, I might change my mind...
ibasiram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably be better off staying out of big, expensive capital cities like Warsaw. It's in the smaller cities where you experience the real culture of the country.
I'd avoid Warsaw and Krakow. I've lived in Poznan - it's ok, but close to Germany, and maybe a little bit Germanised. Gdansk is nicest of the cities you mentioned.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
I have to agree with Bnix on Warsaw... It's an expensive dump.. But then again, if I lived there, I might change my mind...

If you worked here you might know that it is realistic to make 6000PLN per month after tax. That's at least 50% more than other cities in Poland and Warsaw is not 50% more expensive than other cities. The high salaries here also mean it is cheap to get out of town for the weekend, not something that can be said if you are working in one of the other cities and only making 3000PLN per month.

Warsaw certainly is not a dump. There is much more to do here than any other city. More places to go out and have a coffee/beer/meal. Only Krakow can come close to Warsaw and the competition for jobs there has pushed wages so low that you can afford to go out more in Krakow if you work in Warsaw and take the train there every weekend!
annaszcz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Alex. Warsaw is not a dump - it has some great bars and cafes as well as heaps of exhibitions, concerts, etc. It also has some beautiful buildings if people would bother to open their eyes and see beyond the station and the Forum hotel.

Lodz is also very nice- lots of cheap bars and restaurants.
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know... I think I've been tainted by my friends and students down by me who HATE Warsaw and Varsovians with a passion. Most people outside of Warsaw (Poles I mean) really do not like those from the capital.

I live in the cheap dump of Poland--Sosnowiec.. Smile I've been to Warsaw and compared it to Sosnowiec. Yes, it's a MUCH smaller scale than Warsaw (well, the conurbation is 2mln), but I still think it's a dump. A pretty dump though.. Smile With wonderful people.

I make during the academic year between 4000 and 5000/month in hand and 1200/month in hand during the summer + 900 for a one-time "summer holiday bonus" . Not too bad. Love having that Umowa o Praca! Smile

My apartment is furnished and smack dab in the middle of the city. 600/month (at most you would pay 800pln), and it was newly refurbished (except the furniture which I have updated).

A good meal at a good restaurant (granted, there aren't very many) will put you back about 20 pln without any service charges or anything like that. This includes beer.

Beer is at most 5. Movies, well, at Cinema City in Katowice, they're rather expensive, but between 15 and 18 depending on the night. At the one in Sosnowiec it's 12.

Oh, and Krakow is only 1 1/2 hours away and 13-18pln round-trip on the weekends. Guess where I go on many weekends! Smile

Anyway, I just wanted to say that yes, I do live in a dump, but it is not Warsaw.

Greetings from Riga (I'm making my way up the Baltics at the moment--yes, I had plenty saved up to be able to do this trip and have quite a bit left over when I go back. Plus I was in London the previous week)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: