Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saudi ELI's on vacation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Saudi ELI's on vacation Reply with quote

How do other ELI's (Saudispeak for "English Language Instructor") feel when on vacation from the Magic Kingdom ? I feel good but my wife says it takes me 20 days after leaving Saudi before I start behaving like a normal human being. So if I were in a job where I got 20 days' annual vacation (as some do !!!) I would never be "normal"

And how do you feel just before returning to the K of SA ? I look forward to picking up these pay cheques again but...........
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Hi there, Norm Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
I'm baaaack - well, not really. Just popped in for a quick look-see as I'm currently involved in teaching the first of those two courses for Elderhostel at the College of Santa Fe ( the one entitled: " Saudi Arabia: Past, Present and Future " ). I've done 3 of the 5 hours on that one and so far it's been a lot of fun. Then I'll have a week's respite ( which will be occupied with preparation ) befor tehe 2nd one: " The Many Faces of Islam ". Fitting THAT into a mere 5 hours may be a bit of a problem. But I couldn't resist replying to your post, specifically this part:
" . . . . but my wife says it takes me 20 days after leaving Saudi before I start behaving like a normal human being. "
Now really, scot - do you expect ANY of us to actually believe that you ever behave like a " normal human being "? No one who has heeded the siren call ( i.e. money ) of the Kingdom for as many years as you have can hope to even approach " normality " again. On the hand, we EFLers - or most of us, anyway - we're never " normal " from the get-go. And that's just fine, for who the heck wants to be " common, commonplace, customary, natural, prevalent, regular, typic, typical, usual "?
As for your question:
"And how do you feel just before returning to the K of SA ? "
Well, I'm glad to say I can't answer that. I can, however, tell you how it feels knowing you'll never be returning: absolutely wonderful.
Regards,
John
manonatrain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: normally normal Reply with quote

Mr. Green I dont think I would feel normal
teaching in SA and when I leave the ME. As soon
as I hit the airport, I block out where I am leaving
and prepare for NORMAL. Depends if you have
been living in isolation. I imagine a month in normal
to adjust to FREEDOM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: