Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Moscow!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Coming to Moscow! Reply with quote

Gentlemen (are there any ladies here?), in about 5 hours I'm getting on a plane for Moscow where I'll be for the next month. There goes the neighborhood. Cool

Any last minute advise from anyone?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Bon Voyage ! Reply with quote

Hi Smurf:

Advice? First, have fun! Moscow is a 'happening' city. If you find a job and hang around until New Year's, I might just join you for a drink on Red Square. I went last year and had a ball.

A few last-minute tips:

#1. definitely use the metro. If you buy 10 tickets at one shot, you save 20 rubles. At first, the metro can be a bit confusing, but you'll catch on within a couple of days. Take along a map and keep it with you at all times. [see the master links index for a printable metro map of Moscow]

#2. Do NOT under any circumstances change money with ANYONE on the street. Ever. No matter what they say or promise.

#3. If taxi drivers approach you at the airport, walk away and/or give them the finger. They enjoy ripping off foreigners.

#4. Avoid speaking with women dressed in black chanting "Inshallah" or "free Chechnya now!" Laughing

OK. That's about all I can think of. When you get into town, drop in here at Dave's and let us know how you're doing.

Best wishes,
keNt
Pushok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Airport taxi tip Reply with quote

When you get in to Sheremetevo go to the arrivals exit (upstairs I think) rather than the departure exit where you are. That way you'll get a taxi which has brought someone to the airport and is going back into Moscow anyway - use this as your bargaining ploy and it'll be less than half the price!

Otherwise, enjoy Moscow in August - probably the best month weather wise.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Sheremetyevo 2 etc....... Reply with quote

The arrivals hall is downstairs actually and dirty and dingy-departures is upstairs and if you find a taxi there you might well strike a good deal into town!Otherwise,get the bus or mini-bus to the metro and then negotiate a taxi fare from there-it's bound to be cheaper!

M.
waxwing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's it you just need to walk straight past all the taxi offers etc. to the road where the minibuses are waiting. I can't remember the name for them, does it begin with 'mar..' something? i had a friend there for me when i came and he did it for me. Dead cheap that way.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! Now that I've been here for a day I officially have two tips for those wanting to come here.

1. If a girl invites you home to meet her mom, eat everything the mom gives you. She'll love you for it.

2. Don't kiss the girl goodbye while the mom is looking. Embarassed

So, having said that, does anyone have advise on how to get back into the good graces of the parents?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: why you betcha ! Reply with quote

Dear Smurf:

I've finally found my first victim (you!) to try out this new website. It's full of tender phrases for 'lovers'. There must be something in there to help calm angry mothers?

Here's the URL: http://www.meighan.net/alexander/

Regards,
keNt

PS: Next time, give mom the big wet kiss and tell Natasha to meet you down by the Oak tree. They'll both love you for it. Razz
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeNt,

Before I got here I was working on my Russian through the links you provided for online learning. One of the links gave some phrases that included "ty mne nravishsya, ty krasivaya" which I spent a great deal of time working on saying. Well, I had the opportunity to use it and I'll just say that she went nuts. Although she speaks fluent English, she said that it sounds so much better hearing it in her own language. So, for this, I must thank you and I am forever in your debt. Very Happy

The past couple of days here have been really hot. I was hoping to get away from the Cairo weather as I'm used to the San Francisco weather (I'm a student at UC Berkeley). But finally it's raining!

Considering the success of the past few days, I think there's a good possibility I'll be here for New Years (now all I need is a job). I went to Red Square yesterday and I think it was closed down. There was one long line that was going to the Tomb of Lenin, but other than that, from across the barriers, I didn't see anyone there. Could this put a damper on the New Year's plans?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Privyet Comrade Smurf Reply with quote

Hi again Smurf:

Sounds like you're having fun. Razz I'm happy for you ... and your budding language prowess.

There are quite a few job offers at Moscow schools right now, so you may be in luck. It's a very good time for you to be in Moscow since most schools are hiring the bulk of their Fall teaching staff RIGHT NOW.

So ... make some appointments, knock on some doors, have your resume' ready and wear a tie. It helps.

Yes ... I heard about the closing of Red Square. Whenever there's an elevated terrorist threat, they close it down as a precaution. In fact, last year on New Year's Eve they closed down Red Square for several hours while an entire battalion of police and soldiers swept through ... inch by inch, looking ostensibly for hidden bombs.

They didn't find any Very Happy and by 10pm it was open again. So don't worry too much ... it will reopen soon, I'm pretty sure.

Good luck, Smurf Exclamation
keNt
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: well done Smurf! Reply with quote

Don't worry because it's going to rain and cool down during the next few days,so you'll soon miss the weather back home!But whatever you do,don't accept any of those 500$ deals for teaching jobs with split hours etc. or you'll be going home at night too tired for anything but SLEEP and that will definitely not please your lovely"dyevuschka" at all!
Seriously though,good luck over there and if I do finally manage to make it too,maybe next month,I'll let you know and we'll meeet up for a few "Baltikas" etc!(That goes for you too Kent,although Samara is just a bit too far from Moscow for an evening out!)

M.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: New Year's 2004 on Red Square Reply with quote

Privyet Martin:

I haven't given up on my plan to host a BIG EFL BASH on Red Square for New Year's Eve 2004. In fact, I already have a suite reserved at the Alpha Hotel for me ... and anyone else who happens to show up on the 31st. If enough people show some interest, I'll reserve a couple more.

Most people are still thinking beach & bikini, so I'll be promoting this New Year's Bash more heavily in November. Cool

In the meantime, you can always drink a few in my honour. Very Happy

Best wishes,
keNt
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Commie,

If you want to impress her try to learn this.

"ya dushu diavolu pradam dlya noch' c toboi."

It means "I would sell my soul to the devil for one night with you." It is a line from a very famous song from the Russian version of Notre Dame de Paris. Wink

Tally Ho,

Buck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: