Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lafayette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Salaries in Kuwait Reply with quote

I am looking for some help here please. Is 37,700 dinar a good salary per year in Kuwait? His monthly living allowance would be 59d, overseas differential which would be 15% of the base pay, if available studio apartment for my husband will be offered along with two leaves per year on single status. My husband is looking at a possible position and if he is hired would be in Kuwait for a year on single status. After that time, I may decide to move there as well. My kids are teenagers so they have no interest in moving. We are from Louisiana but live in Canada so they would move back to live with our families. I would appreciate if anyone out there can provide some advice as to salaries and benefits. Surprised
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try to sort out this information first. Does the 37,700 quoted include the "monthly living allowance" and the "overseas differential" or is it the base pay? Does the "if available" refer to the studio apartment? What happens if it's not available? Would he then have to rent a place out of the 37,700?

If accommodation is included, then 37,700 is incredibly good! I presume he's not an English teacher. If he has to pay for his own accommodation it's probably not enough, though I really don't lnow what rents are like in Kuwait these days.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lafeyette,

Since the posters on this board are more likely to earn a salary of about 10,000 KD a year at best, we are not able to judge if that is a good salary or not. We don't know his field, nor would we know the pay scale for it.

Anyone that is paid a salary that high should have some ability to negotiate the benefits. If you are intending to go, I would suggest that he negotiate a housing allowance in place of that 'possible' studio. You can rent a decent flat for 300-400 KD a month. It should have AC already, but you would need to furnish it. That is not terribly expensive as there are used furniture places or IKEA.

To us teachers this is a HUGE salary even if there are no other benefits. But it depends on what your life style is...

VS
lafayette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is an engineer and since I could not find any other forums for this discussion, I thought I could ask on the ESL site. There seems to be a great deal of knowledge on this forum. There are housing allowances for married with no dependents and I believe that is approximately 200d per month. The 37700 is only the yearly salary. He would have a studio apartment only if available otherwise they would accomodate him with a housing allowance of 59d since he would be on single status. They also provide a car with fuel coupons and comprehensive insurance. They pay for the school tuition but we will not require that.

Many thanks for your initial responses to my questions.

Best regards, Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lafayette wrote:
The 37700 is only the yearly salary.

ONLY?? You say ONLY when anyone on this board would be THRILLED to get 10,000 KD annual?? Laughing Are you trying to make enemies?

Just don't expect anyone here to know if that is good or not for an engineer. I have no idea what 59d means. Is that per day or per month? There is certainly NOTHING in Kuwait that you could rent for that amount per month... unless he wants to share his flat with a few subcontinental sweepers.

But with a huge salary like that he could certainly afford to rent a decent apartment and furnish it. He would still have a paltry approximate $110,000 a year to keep body and soul together... (it would take most of us 3-4 years to earn that salary with our MAs and many years of experience...)

I have no idea what it is you want us to tell you. Do you consider US$125,000 a year a small salary? If so, I guess he should turn it down. (remember that the first 80,000+ is tax free...)

VS
lafayette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Salaries in Kuwait Reply with quote

I hope no one thinks I am trying to insult them. It just sounds like this board had a very good idea of what a good or poor salary would be.

It is ashame that teachers are not paid more because you certainly deserve it. Just putting up with the kids that cause trouble shows that you guys have a heart of gold and I know I could not do that job.

The 59d is per month which to me doesn't sound like much but that is only if there is no available apartments on site.

Still have to pay the bills in Canada so some of the income would have to come back here.

So the salaries are tax free in Kuwait but I am assuming that is not correct for the U.S. In other words, we would still have to file.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nobody in education gets a salary anywhere near that even though they require all kinds of expensive advanced degrees. Shocked Such is life...

If he goes overseas, check out the IRS site. As with all tax law, there are rules to follow, but if he is over there for a year or more, as I said above - the first $80,000 of his income will be exempt from US tax. (there are no taxes in Kuwait) I don't know how your residing in Canada will affect this. That is a whole other issue if you are also under their tax laws. (I think it may be of his benefit to move his residency BACK to the US...)

Assuming that he rents himself a small flat that costs him - say $800 out of pocket (just guessing - he could probably find something cheaper) and he is provided with a car, his only other expenses would be gas for the car (cheap), phone? internet? food? (no booze)... join a club to access pool and sports facilities? Most of us on teacher's salaries of less than a third of his manage to save a signficant amount of money after expenses. I skipped the club scene and did my own cooking and lived on around $300 a month. So, if he wants to mostly eat out and join a club, about $1000-1500 + $800 (rent) a month should cover his basic costs there.

So, his monthly income is $10,300 minus $2,300 for living expenses in Kuwait leaves $8000 a month. You need to look into the tax issues for Canada - a small portion will go for US taxes if you don't have to pay in Canada. (no double taxation, so since Canada taxes higher than the US, if you have to pay Canada, you won't have to pay any US.)

It would be between the two of you to figure out if that $8000 a month would cover your expenses in Canada and whatever else is needed for your kids...

Good Luck

VS
lafayette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight VS. If he gave up his landed status in Canada, then he would be unable to return. My family and I are U. S. citizens and would not have a home back in the states.

We pay quite a bit in Canada. They tax you at a higher rate in Canada as opposed to the U.S. Canada sucks! The kids schooling is mostly free thought our oldest daughter starts post secondary education this fall.

You have been most helpful.

Many thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: