Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where do I go to make money
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prospectiveteacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: where do I go to make money Reply with quote

Hello. I will be graduating May of 04 with a degree in English for Middle, and High-school. I want to travel, and money is not personally a big issue with me. Unfortunatly, I will be graduating with some heafty student loans, which I would like to take care of ASAP. I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me where the best place would be for me to teach where I could make the most money. I don't mean to sound like a capitalist, but the sooner I'm out of debt, the better.
Thanks.
Celeste

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you need money. I can understand that. This means that you will probably end up somewhere in Asia or Europe. If you do not have citizenship in an EU country, you will probably want to go to Asia. The three countries that people usually go to make money in Asia are Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. I have never been to Taiwan, but I have lived in Korea and Japan, and of those two, I would say that I personally prefer living in Japan. However, start up costs in Japan are high, and this may add to your debt at the start. Interestingly, you are licensed to teach in a public school in your own country. This is a certification that many traveling EFL teachers do not have, so you might be able to get some jobs that are not open to the average EFL teacher. For example, you might be able to get employment as a regular teacher at an international school or at a school on one of the American military bases. By the way, where are you from?
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Yes,Japan Is Probably Your Best Bet,Considering All Factors Reply with quote

Well,it is a bit confusing because first you state that money is not much of a priority...and then later you state you have hefty student loans.

Probably the best money is to be made in the MIddle East...but you can mark that one off...because of the political turmoil in the area and also because of your gender.I would not recommend it for you.

Korea can be fine...IF you get the right job...a very big"if".It is a very nice country if you can get that right job.Taiwan?You can make money there,too,but parts are very polluted.Considering all factors,Japan is probably your best bet.There is very little money in most jobs in Latin America or eastern Europe.You really need to be an EU citizen to teach in the EU countries in Europe.Try Japan.

Like Celeste said,also look at other options in your home country.Also,in some instances,you can have student loans deferred or even have a portion canceled if you teach in certain situations (rural schools) etc.in the US(if you are from the US).
Best of luck.If you decide to do the ESL thing,try Japan. Smile
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s Reply with quote

Japan, Korea, Taiwan or the Arab countries in the M.E.

That is it. Anywhere else you will either earn enough to stay alive, and maybe get back home, OR you will be phoning Maw and Paw to bail you out.
Esterita

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere else?

How much can you earn in European countries, say Italy or Germany?
prospectiveteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: More information on myself Reply with quote

I am a 24 year old male. I will be graduating, hopefully, in May of 04. I currently live in the US. Also, I am a single father of one son, who lives with me. I realize that with a child will make any move more difficult, but we are dedicated. Let me know if this should affect my options. Will Japan be receptive to a single father? He will be ready for kindergarden by the time I am teaching.
Thanks again for the information everyone.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Best of Luck Reply with quote

It might be more complicated if you have a child with you,but it is possible,and ,at least in Japan,you will be making some money.I suggest you check with the Japanese Embassy in the US regarding what paperwork you might need for you and your son,if you are genuinely interested in Japan..Just make sure to do your research carefully before accepting any job.

I also suggest,since you will not actually be graduating until 2004,that you look at other non-TESOL options,in addition to teaching overseas.It is always good to have other options.Do not put all of your eggs in the ESL basket.Plan ahead.Be careful.You want to get the right job,especially since you will have a child with you.

Best of luck.We really need trained,dedicated people in this profession. Smile
avahanian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: money? Reply with quote

Esterita wrote:
Anywhere else?

How much can you earn in European countries, say Italy or Germany?

The answer to this question is, very little compared with Asian or Middle Eastern countries.

My advice to you is don't go to Italy or Germany unless you have European citizenship, and even then, the money is not the reason you should go (as there is very little of it).

If you want to make loads of money then this is not the best career choice for you.....

I don't mean to discourage anyone from following a dream but you had better be aware that teaching English does not pay very well (especially in Europe).

But everyone loves Italy, Germany, and other European countries (who can blame them, after all?). And the academies are well aware of this.

Just take a look at the job listing section on ESLCafe, and see how many views a job in Italy gets....and then how many a job in China gets.....

cheers

Arin
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: The Middle East Reply with quote

Yep you can make your money in the Middle East ,I'm there/here now.As usual bnix is talking chod when alarming you of the current situation.I'm in Qatar ,it's a safe as houses,as are the UAE,and Oman.Does 70/80 thousand $ sound good?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Not right now Reply with quote

Dear itslatedoors,
I don't think it's wise to suggest the Middle East right now to a woman with a child. I'm in Riyadh and I certainly wouldn't encourage a lady and youngster to come over here at the moment. $70 - 80 thousand sounds not only good, but a lot more than I've ever heard of an EFL teacher making over in this part of the world. May I ask whom you're working for?Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: how about Reply with quote

Oops John, I guess you hadn't read the original posters last post. He is male with a child.

But, back to our original poster. The Middle East is not the place for someone fresh out of school with no MA or experience. There is little money there at this level and it will cost him big bucks to educate his child.

Here is my recommendation. Finish your degree and get certified in your state for your major at as many levels as you can - middle through high school. Then, look into the American Schools overseas. The money is good and your child's education would be taken care of. Everyone I know doing this is doing well financially and most are happy. Also, you will be in a good position to find work if and when you decide to return to the US.

This choice would open the whole world since there are American Schools all over the place.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Gender bender Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
Oops is right - my oversight. But the fact that I ( mistakenly ) thought he was a she doesn't really matter, because it wasn't the poster's gender that bothered me; it was bringing a child here ( and, since the poster is 24, I assume the child is fairly young ). I agree with everything else you wrote. The American schools would probably be the best bet, considering his circumstances. How about the Department of Defense schools? Don't they hire people who are in the States to teach the armed services kids at many places around the world? And I believe the salary's not too bad, either?
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: kids... Reply with quote

The Defense Department is a good idea, John. I must admit that I haven't run into anyone that works with their schools. But, it should be easy for the original poster to research.

I don't completely agree with your being so down on a single parent in the Middle East. Though I would avoid KSA and Kuwait until the bombs stop dropping in the area. To be honest, as a woman, I would avoid Saudi under any circumstance. Generally speaking the Middle Eastern culture is very child oriented. There are tons of things going on for kids and no fear of the child nabbing problems that permeate the US culture. A place like Oman or the Emirates would be fine. And if money wasn't a major issue, Egypt. I have known so many people that raised their kids in the area and the kids loved it - both single parents and couples.

I would suggest to the original poster that once he starts job searching, to try to contact parents currently living in his country(s) of choice. They have the real low down. By the time he is looking, hopefully he can also get a more accurate handle on security then - rather than the big question mark now.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Looking ahead Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
I must admit that I was thinking strictly of Saudi Arabia in what I wrote before. I have no personal experience of the other Gulf countries. But looking back over my time here ( almost 19 years ), I can't recall one example of a single parent/EFL teacher with a child being employed in the Kingdom. Which doesn't, of course, mean that it hasn't happened, but it does, I think, suggest that it's likely rather rare. Prospective teacher wrote that he wouldn't be going abroad until 2004 - probably in the summer or fall. No one, of course, can predict what the situation here will be like then. But an educated guess can be made. If ( or should I say, " when "? ) the Iraqi invasion takes place and is over, the current plans seem to call for some kind of American military " government " there for a number of years. Should that happen, I suspect that anti-American, anti-Western feeling would not subside in the whole Gulf, but that it would likely increase. This would be even more probable if the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is on-going ( and that's just about a 100% certainty ). If I were a single parent, I doubt I'd want to expose my child to such an environment. It's one thing for an adult to weigh the risk factor and make his/her own decision about safety, but, to my mind, quite another when you have a child to consider as well.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: so we agree Reply with quote

John... I think we are saying the same thing. May 04 is ever so far away. I have lots of friends still working in Kuwait, Oman, the Emirates, Qatar, and Egypt, so they will be able to tell me how things are really going there after all the dust settles. It is certain that things will never be the same and Americans will not be safe anywhere - including the US itself. These are not good times and I am glad that I am not 24 years old with a young child.

But, this is getting off subject and I think we have actually given prospectiveteacher a lot of good advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: