Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Moving to Kuwait Reply with quote

Hello there,

Appreciate if you can answer some of my questions regarding Kuwait since I'll be moving there very soon:

* Average rent for a one bedroom apartment on the Gulf (Salmiyah)? How can you look for flatmates?

* Leasing cars?

* Meeting friends (expats)?

Much appreciated
Svea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Canadian teacher who's been teaching in Kuwait for the past year. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions, and feel free to ask any more should they arise.

Unfortunately, I can only give you a slightly informed opinion on renting in Salmiya as my school provides us with housing. It'll range in price depending on what you're looking for - apartment or villa, furnished or unfurnished. Look for ad's in the Arab Times. I would say you're looking at between 300 - 600 KD per month. As far as finding a roomate - put an add in the paper (Arab Times) or just ask around. Many expats are gone on holidays for the summer now (teachers mostly) so it will be difficult finding anyone now. You'll have more luck near the end of August. If your work provides furnished housing, I'd suggest taking that up for at least the first year you're here, and then look around while you're here for other accommodation.

As for renting a car - that again depends on what you're looking for. This year I rented my car (a 2002 Mitsubishi lancer) from Rent Al-Mullah at the airport for 90 KD per month. This is pretty much a standard rate - I haven't heard of anyone getting a car for much cheaper. It includes insurance and everything. They're very good. If anything happens to your car, it's pretty worry free - they take care of it (provided you're not at fault, but there are ways around even this - welcome to Kuwait). They also keep up with maintenance - you just call them up when the KM's show you need a tune up, and they pick up the car and provide you with a replacement. Don't know if you've heard much about driving here, but it's pretty crazy. It doesn't take long to get used to though.

Meeting other expats isn't hard since there's so many people from all over. A good way is to get involved in things you like doing. If you like drama, the KLT is a great place to meet people and have fun - they're always looking for people in all areas of the theatre, and no experience is necessary. I've met many close friends this year at the theatre. Here's their web address: www.theklt.com. BSK (the British School of Kuwait) has adult sports activities you can look into. The Hilton is also a good place to meet people. They have a nice little gym, spa, pools and a nice beach facility. Their membership is pretty reasonable - and if you're a teacher, you can get a deal - make sure you say that you're a teacher and you want the teacher's deal (about 275 KD for a year). They also put on great functions like ball's, dances, and this year they had a comedy night. The Crown Plaza is closer to Salmiya though - they have a better gym than the Hilton, but the pool isn't as nice, and there's no beach. If you like Cricket, there's a cricket club you can join. Just ask around and people will be more than happy to help you out. As you probably already know, Kuwait is a dry country, but there are ways around that if you're so inclined. Bring some good wine yeast with you - make sure it's not noticeable in your luggage though - and it won't take long to find someone who will teach you how to make some good home brew (Shhhh! Wink)

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck!
hero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the tips. I was actually born in Kuwait and I lived there for while, but that was a long time ago and things have changed from what I heard and I hardly know anyone now.

Ciao,
strawberry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: moving to kuwait Reply with quote

dear hero,

i live in salmiya, across from the arabian gulf. i have a nice two bedroom in a new building and i pay KD 250, which is about US$800. there are much cheaper places, but not close to the city. i lease a car and i pay KD 100 for a new toyota corolla, about $330. as far as making friends, it's hard to find a good group of expats. but there's always ads in the paper for 'friendship circles' and stuff like that. kuwait is not so bad, once you get used to it.
hero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you dear for the info. and I'm actually looking forward for the move. It is going to be drastically different from the last three places that I lived in (NYC, London, and Tokyo), but I�m sure I�m going to get used to it once I move there.

If anyone wants to get together for a coffee or something, please feel free to email me on: [email protected]

Ciao,
lafayette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Things to do in Kuwait Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Do you know if yoga is offered in Kuwait? If so, where are some places that can be checked out? Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again... I thought you weren't thinking of going for another year? Probably questions like this should wait until you are on your way. Laughing

I suspect that things like this may come and go. I have a friend in Kuwait who is very seriously into Yoga, and I know that she goes to do Yoga retreats in India. I'll check with her about classes in Kuwait...

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lafayette,

My friend wrote and there are plenty of different yoga branches giving classes in Kuwait. If and when you are going, send me a PM and I can get you more info.

VS
British Tutor Kuwait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: APARTMENT SHARE FURNISHED KUWAIT AVAILABLE Reply with quote

There is currently a lovely, furnished apartment in Fintas to share with an out-going Arab lady teacher who has been working as translator for the Military Coalition. She is a friend and will soon advertise accommodation.
The building is new and houses mostly American and other expats on commercial contracts with Army etc. On the first floor, the furnished flat offers a bedroom with en-suite bathroom; furnished lounge with TV, satellite, video, dvd, internet, telephone and music system; fully equipped kitchen and bathroom for guests. Additionally, on the ground floor is a Gym and Coffee Lounge area for use by residents and guests. This is situated near the Gulf Road by the junction of the Fintas/Mahboula traffic lights. A regular maid for the flat is included in the total Monthly charge of KD 200. For enquiries please email:
[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: