Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

part-time work available?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: part-time work available? Reply with quote

Is it possible to arrive in Dubai on a tourist visa and pick up parttime work for awhile? Or is it pretty much mandatory that you have a legal work visa through a sponsored school?
grand fromage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most private institutes love people on tourist visas-saves them a lot of money that way. Try contacting ELS as they always have a need for temps. Good luck!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is asking about breaking the law. Does he imagine that US citizens are not required to stick to the rules in the UAE ?

If you want to work in the UAE you need a work permit.

Why does he imagine we will tell him it is okay to ignore the laws of the UAE ?
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot, you have a point, but the question was about teaching, not the law. I think it's his/her decision if he wants to break it. I would leave those issues to the proper authorities. Besides, I think you were a bit tough on him/her. After all, there is a difference between teaching "�llegally" and really breaking the law. But everyone's entitled to their opinion. Well, I guess I just realised I've been a criminal more than once Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points on those who work without papers :

1. This kind of activity is like scab labour. It brings down the wage rate for those who are working legally.

2. How would you react if you heard about a UAE national who intended to work illegally in the USA ? Perhaps in the field of aviation ? Should US citizens get special treatment ? Is it okay for them to ignore the laws of their host country ?

Grow up.
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality check Scot: There are at least 1 million illegal aliens just in NYC alone! I think most of them are law-abiding, hard-working people who are stuck between a rock and a hard place (tough or dangerous situation at home and the hopelessness of obtaining legal papers). They, and illegals all over the US are contributing to the US economy working jobs no "self-respecting American" (translation: below or at minimum wage) would do! So by villifying �llegals" you are in fact putting down the very people that makes the US economy tick, at least at the basic level. I don't mean to compare Tiger Beer to these poor souls, but you brought up the "legality"issue. I think that bringing up Arabs flying planes shows that you need to grow up or have you joined the CNN bandwagon? As a teacher, my mission is to survive and carry the ESL message Wink The few times I've done it "�llegally", I never felt bad about it-face it, most visa laws, UAE included are designed to lock you into one place whether you are happy there or not, besides-there are no provisions for someone to come to the UAE to teach just in the Summer. I don't feel threatened by this kind of activity-my salary isn't going to suffer as a result, and let's face it, your's isn't either! Unless of course you work for one of these private institutions-in that case maybe it's time to look for alternate employment. There just aren't enough "illegals" to undermine our position here. I can't believe you brought terrorists into this conversation. If you feel that way about UAE citizens, why are you still in the M.E? Btw, the ones that blew up the planes were mostly in the States legally!!! Grow up. Tiger Beer, good luck with your plans.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As a teacher my mission is to survive and carry the ESL message".

Wow ! What is this message ?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: SLAMMER Reply with quote

It seems to me that your message is "I will break the law if it suits me."

Well you may regret it when you see the inside of the slammer in the UAE !

Oh I forgot. Just tell them you are a US citizen and everything will be okay !
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this issue. Including you Scot, and me. I'll end on this note as we are digressing from the thread's question. I am not the one creating this reality, just living in it. However, it is not as black and white as you seem to think, at least in my humble opinion. Btw, what makes you think I am American-have I ever said I was? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: