Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kiwi TEFL job prospects...still rubbish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Kiwi TEFL job prospects...still rubbish? Reply with quote

I'm a kiwi currently overseas but having to face up to the reality that I can't drift around for too long due to commitments back home. I'm not at all optimistic but just wanting a general update on the current situation in NZ. When I left it was ridiculously bad...schools going down like dominoes, teachers being let go with alarming frequency etc
Is this still the case? thanks for any info
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when did you leave?
clock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of 2004
ssean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is still a bit of a slump in english language teaching in NZ. all those schools that closed down a couple of years ago have remained closed, the student figures have plateaued or still slightly down on last year, jobs are hard to come by and the wages are the same if not less than 5yrs ago. Sorry Sad
tiger_down_under

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree. No one's feeling very secure in their jobs at the moment. Although there's talk about the situation being much better and stabilizing, we jump every time an unexpected letter is put on our desks, thinking we're being terminated.

Experienced, well-qualified teachers are working without contracts, being kept on as casual part-timers. It seems that only the smaller schools are advertising, and only then for casual part-timers. If a contract comes up, it only makes sense to give it to a well-qualified, experienced teacher who has perhaps proven themselves for the past 2 or 3 years as a casual employee rather than take an unknown from outside the company. An outsider's qualifications and experience would have to be really something to compete.

Basically, expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when something comes your way.
clock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I expected as much. Looks like I might continue teaching overseas until the TEFL industry in NZ regains some momentum. I know what it's like to teach in NZ on a casual contract and it's not much fun. Not being paid for prep, virtually having to beg for paid leave, the ever-present axe above your neck that could suddenly fall when the school has a poor intake... Oh well, there's still a lot of places I would love to teach, and I'd only return to NZ out of a sense of duty to the family, although as I type, I realise I could really do with some of that fresh alpine air at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: