Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Moving to Qatar Reply with quote

Hi, I'm going to be moving to Qatar on the 16th of January to join my parents. I was just wondering how difficult it will be for me to find work. I've got a Degree in Journalism and Political Science and a Diploma in Public Relations. I've applied to the Asian Games and I have taught English for a year in Korea.

I was also just wondering how difficult it will be for me as a 25 year old single blond haired blue eyed Canadian girl? I hear Qatar's supposed to be pretty liberal for the Middle East, but I just want to know what to expect.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of discussion of life in Qatar for western women on the board if you check out some of the threads on the first couple of pages.

Finding a job may be more difficult...

VS
Rin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really find too much on what it's like to be a western woman in Qatar other than don't live with a guy and don't wear tank tops and shorts (duh).

I'm more interested to know if my gender will effect my employement possibilties.

I read some job stuff on the General Middle Eastern Forum, but unfortunately going to Morocco or Turkey isn't a possibilty.

I intend to get my TESEL when I arrive in Qatar. Other than that are there any other hints you can give me?

And where can I meet other foriegners? Is there a place everyone hangs out? Is there any ultimate frisbee in Qatar?
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

College of the North Atlantic hires people with only a bachelor's degree. The salary is high, but then you pay Cdn taxes.
Rin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm paying Canadian taxes anyway Very Happy . My father is working for them as well. I've already applied, but the position doesn't start till September. I'm hoping to find something to tide me over till than.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for Qatarchic's postings. She is a young woman living in Qatar and has made lots of posts related to the topic.

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from my Eid break.....hence the delay in writing.

Hi Rin Smile

Its quite tricky finding work thats not related to TEFL as for where people hang out; there are different places- depending on what you like to do. There are various shopping malls, restaurants and so forth. It's not as hip and modern as Dubai but there are single people here. There are various positions volunteering for the ASIAN GAMES, so that should be a good place to start off at.....you have to remember that the city is changing very rapidly, so by the time you come here there may well be other openings elsewhere. As for being female here- I have not experienced anything nor have friends, so you should be fine...........hope this helps Smile
Rin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks QatarChic. That's good to hear. I can't wait to get there and start exploring.
livinginQatar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Qatar Reply with quote

Dear Rin,

Welcome to Qatar and good luck in your job search!

With your degree, you might be able to find a job at Qtel: www.qtel.com.qa
Rin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like I should be able to find work no problem at CNA. Now if I can just find some young people (and I mean over the age of 10, which seems to be the general age on my parents compound) than I might start really liking it here. Anyone know where to meet people?
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rin wrote:
Well it looks like I should be able to find work no problem at CNA. Now if I can just find some young people (and I mean over the age of 10, which seems to be the general age on my parents compound) than I might start really liking it here. Anyone know where to meet people?

Depends what your interests are...there are many places and groups which are forming nowadays; Rugby Club, Natural History Group, Doha Sailing Association .......the best thing to do is get a copy of MARHABA- (it costs 20 QR) its a guide which comes out 4 times a year here in Qatar and has tonnes of information in it. I personally find that the best way to meet people is through networking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: