Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
powderful_engrish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Request for information Reply with quote

Hi chaps

Sorry to say I am not an English teacher (coming from a country where it's more likely to be pronounced Engrish). However I will be going to Kuwait and it looks like folks here know a lot more about the place than I will.

I will be spending about six months project time (liable to extension) in Kuwait where it will be four weeks in country and one week home leave. While in country I will be staying at the Sheraton four points.

Question
1) Is the four points an ok place to stay? Usually we go with Mariott locations due to corporate loyalty program issues but the pricing in Kuwait is absurd for the mariott.

2) Given that I have a daily allowance of USD 80, will I starve there and should I be looking at packing crates of ramen/crackers to tide me over? (serious question as things may often get expensive during travel).

3) Is there anything else I should be asking my employer for besides a place to stay (done), transport (customer is providing) and per diem?

4) Bonus question - I'm assuming there's not much of a nite life in Kuwait so how much would it cost me to fly out on weekends to the nearest nite life? (I'm assuming Dubai) - Do they have budget airlines in that part of the world?

I'm pretty much happy with eating anything and have happily survived other hardship locations (India, Indonesia, Algeria, Nigeria, Cambodia, Bolivia) so its more a request for info on conditions there than anything else. This is my first middle east posting except for Dubai which everyone else tells me doesnt really count as middle east experience Smile

Thank you in advance for helping a lost traveller.
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try and answer some of your questions.
I am surprised the Sheraton is cheaper than the Marriot Hotel, both are in the same area and are 5*. The Hilton beach resort is good, so is the Crowne Plaza. If you have a choice, visit them and see what you think.

$ 80 a day is move than enough for food, but try to avoid the hotel restaurants which tend to be expensive, having said that you could eat at the hotels with that amount of money. There is no shortage of places to eat here in Kuwait.

Most of the social life takes place in homes, so apart from malls there are only a few places of interest. Kuwait is at present observing 40 days of mourning for the Emir who passed away recently so entertainment is even more limited than usual.

Flights to Bahrain cost KD 50 to Dubai KD 80 these are regular airlines. there are cut price airlines for less, if you can get a ticket.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can save $60 daily of your per diem and use that money to pay your ticket to Dubai or Bahrain.
British Tutor Kuwait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: KUWAIT INFO Reply with quote

I agree that the hotels mentioned are good - however. it is a good idea to stay around the city central area of Kuwait for access to many a beach-side cafe or diner, jet skiing, malls, souks and meeting friends / associates. Crowne Plaza means being stuck in Farwanyia and Hilton also way down the coast with half an hour drive to town in the scorching heat/busy traffic. 4 Point is near Muthanna Complex where expats go and walkable for Pharmacy, beach and some shops if out on a local stroll.
If you are a Westerner, I suggest you email the Public Relations [British expat] lady of AWARE, a free info service and Cultural Centre that organises trips for one person and/or groups of Westerners in order to bridge-the-gap between such and Arabs. Info, directions, advice, a warm wlecome, meet other expats, meet local Kuwaitis etc. Whatever your politics or religion .... no problem .... if a Westerner you are wlecome.
All possible via contact with British Iman Martin: [email protected]
Personally, if you email me, I and some other Europeans [teachers, translators, psychologist and journalists] would show you around together with us, to familiarise yourself with the land/sand lol. Cool Ahlan wa sahlan ! [5 years here to date]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: