Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language school to learn French in France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihaveitchyfeet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Language school to learn French in France Reply with quote

I'm looking to go to France next year (likely late spring, early summer) to study French and hopefully become fluent by immersing myself in the culture.

There are plenty of places I've found online, but I would like:

1. A recommendation from someone who's experiences a school first-hand.
2. Something that is not ridiculously priced. (The language schools I've found are upwards of 300 Euros a week!).
3. Advice on living situation.
4. Advice on an area of France that good to learn (i.e. Parisians have different accents than those in the south, I also don't want to get stuck in an area with a lot of English-speakers).

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been taking classes with France-Langue in Paris and have found them to be pretty reasonably priced. They have intensive or extensive programs. One thing I really like about them is their social program, this past weekend a group of us went to Mont-Saint-Michel and there are similar excursions each month (Champagne in Nov and the Christmas markets in Alsace in Dec) as well as various cultural activities most weeks.

Living situation will depend a lot on you, do you want/can you afford a homestay program? Will you need to work? How long do you plan to spend here? What area appeals to you? Accents don't alter as dramatically from North to South as they do in some countries so I'd be more concerned about where you'd prefer to go.

Hope that helps

PT
ihaveitchyfeet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think I would prefer to be in the south because I have friends there. As far as the accomodations, it would probably be best to do a homestay because that would help me constantly practice my French. Would this be a less expensive way to live or is it more expensive?

Do homestays usually work out well? I'm just afraid of getting into that situation and perhaps the family is paid to let me live there and doesn't treat me as more than someone who will come and go. If that was the case I might just as well get a place with a roommate or on my own. But a lot of it will come down to the cost.
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well France-Langue is also in Nice if that's anywhere near where your friends are.

Ok, again, if you are looking at coming over long term then a homestay is probably not the best option, you are paying for full service, including meals. However if you are only thinking about spending a month or two then this may work well for you. Longer term it's probably better to go with finding a flatshare or similar, that way you are still living with a French speaker but will have more independence and can cut costs if necessary.

Sorry but you're not really giving me a whole lot to go on.

PT
wildchild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: More Options Reply with quote

You may try to locate some 'social center/centre socio' in the town or city where you wish to live. When I lived in Bordeaux, I studied French for free at the local neighborhood social center. The hours of study depend on student demand and funding of the center. But it can be a great way to study and meet people from the neighborhood.
You might also try to locate certain language schools which are provided through the University in the town of city where you wish to live. When I lived in Bordeaux, I also studied French at the DEFLE (dept. of french learning as a foriegn language ....or something like that) which was a part of the University system. Normally these schools serve to improve the proficiency of the student to a level which will then qualify them to be an official student in the University system. There, you can also meet many people from many different countries. Good luck!
Trinencadian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ihaveitchyfeet,

I am going to south of France for language school in the spring as well. The school I am going with is called Langue Onze in Toulouse. Their website is http://www.langue-onze.asso.fr/ I plan to go for about six months. I've been to Toulouse before and I liked the city. It is a student town so lots of young people. Anyway, check out the site if you are still looking for a school to go to!
Jasmeen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L'Alliance Francaise is everywhere. Sometimes I think they are a bit over-priced but I've really been enjoying my lessons in AF Toulouse.

(and, yes, I'd recommend the city for lifestyle - proximity to Spain, Basque, the med, the ski-frields, Lourdes, Carcassonne, the beautiful countryside just outside; and also the vibrant student life of a uni town with plenty of engineering-based industry).

The AF here is also really excellent if you are interested in a good mix of age-groups and backgrounds that beyond just English-speaking university students (with whom I have no problem, naturally). I've been lucky to meet interesting people who make fluency practise really worthwhile. Smile

I can't speak for other schools. Maybe they're all the same. Hav a great time!
Trinencadian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut!

In my last post I had said I was going with Langue Onze. I've changed my mind since then Rolling Eyes I'm trying to decide between L'Alliance Toulouse and L'Institut Universitaire de Langue et de Cultures Fran�aises at Institut Catholique Toulouse. Both schools have good reps which is a good thing since all schools aren't created equally. Langue Onze seems to be good if you want tourism to have the same emphasis as studying. Since I don't and also want to have a certification that would actually be recognized outside of France, LO is not the best choice. But one thing for sure, I am sticking with Toulouse, an awesome city. I can't wait to actually make a choice Confused

Trinencadian
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends was at the Institut Catholique here in Paris because her standard of French was too good for the language schools (lived in a French speaking territory for a while when she was younger) and she found that it was definately more like being at University but very good. Not sure about L'Alliance here in France, I've only ever known people who have taken their courses in other countries. Some help I am huh! Razz

PT
sonya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Toulouse as well, but to a university (Toulouse 3 I think it's called?) as part of study abroad. They have a non-Parisian accent, but I don't think it's considered a bad one. Particularly not if it's an academic center in France. Like someone else said, there will probably be community centers that teach French for free, like there are centers in the States for teaching English to immigrants..

I hear it's a beautiful place, it's not touristy, and it's the second biggest university town in France (the first being Paris). Living is supposed to be pretty affordable.. appx 250E a month for an apartment (the government also subsidizes 30% of that for students).

300E is a lot to pay per week.. really, perhaps you don't need to worry about a language school. I had a friend who went to Granada with a Spanish text book and rented an apartment with some other Spanish people. Came back three months later speaking fairly okay Spanish. I kid you not.. I was there with him in the beginning, where he couldn't say anything. Now he carries on conversations in Spanish. French (and Spanish) and English aren't distantly related, and they've evolved together for quite a while so they're quite similar. In beginning French classes, the teachers teach in French.. Almost nothing is done in English, because students tend to catch on quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: