Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bound for Doha, and we have questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Houston2Qatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Bound for Doha, and we have questions... Reply with quote

...we hope someone here in the forum can answer. You all seem to be very helpful based on previous posts. Anyway, my wife and I are moving to Doha in March '06.

1-We are studying conversational Arabic through "Pimsleur Arabic" CD's but I have noticed that there are many regional language differences in the middle east. Our CD's seem to be based on Syrian arabic. Can anyone tell me what are the major differences in Qatar or point me to a website or book discussing this? Or, would we get confused looks if we used what we've learned?

2-Is it easy to order clothes/books/etc. online and have them shipped to Doha?

3-It is my wife's job that brings us to Doha. I know there can be difficulties getting a work permit for male "trailing spouses", but the few people I have spoken with say I won't have any trouble finding work. I have a BA and an MBA and about seven years work experience-none of it in oil and gas however.

4-I know there are major restaurant chains but we are also interested in local cuisine. What are the most popular local foods?

THANKS!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

Current Qatar residents can answer more specific questions, but I can speak to some general points.

1. Don't be too worried about the Arabic dialect you are studying because you actually will have little chance to use it there. Most of the people that you will deal with will be other expats and the language used is Arabic. (actually Urdu or Hindi is probably more useful Laughing ) If you are serious about learning Arabic, I'm sure that you will have access to lessons once you get to Qatar which can bring up local dialect differences.

2. I expect that you will have not trouble buying clothes there. People seem to be getting things from Amazon and such, but the shipping charges will be high.

3. Hopefully you can find work, but just don't expect too much pay. Much of your competition for jobs are subcontinentals who are also highly educated and experienced and will work for less.

4. I found that 'local food' in the Gulf was pretty much what you find in the usual 'Indian Restaurant' in the US...

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bound for Doha, and we have questions... Reply with quote

Houston2Qatar wrote:

Can anyone tell me what are the major differences in Qatar or point me to a website or book discussing this? Or, would we get confused looks if we used what we've learned?

Native speakers will adapt and understand easily. No one will expect you to speak the local dialect, which is similar to other area dialects. If you really want to get a leg up, see if you can find a lexicon of Indian or Filipino English, because that's where you'll run into trouble.

Examples "Fix" does not mean repair here. It means "to affix" or "to place".

A manager is often called an "incharge".

Etc.

Quote:
2-Is it easy to order clothes/books/etc. online and have them shipped to Doha?

It's easy to order them and get them shipped, but it's not always easy to get them. If the guy at the P.O. doesn't feel like dealing with your package for whatever reason, he'll happily send it back marked "undeliverable". You might want to use couriers instead of mail. Aramex has a deal called Shop & Ship which costs a little but may be worth it:

http://www.aramex.com/shopandship/

Quote:
I have a BA and an MBA and about seven years work experience-none of it in oil and gas however.

There is plenty of work.

Quote:
What are the most popular local foods?

Turkish and Lebanese are the most popular, and they are cheap compared to the junk-food chains.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

As BD has said- you'll find that most people here are able to converse in English so no problems there!

With your qualifications you'll find that there will be several possibilities open to you - just a keep a look out in the local papers, as well as word of mouth.........

I've had books/CDs/DVDs shipped no problem.....as for clothes well friends have had that done and had no problems........

Local cuisines which are widely available are Lebanese and Indian....other cuisines are also available.

Hope this helps .....Smile
Houston2Qatar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Good Advice All Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for that. I bookmarked "Shop and Ship". My work experience is mostly in sports management, and so I've been looking closely at the Asian Games website. If anyone has inside tips on working/volunteering for the games, that would also be appreciated!

We're looking into vehicles when we get there, and we heard that toyota and nissan are the best options because of the availability of parts... anyone know if is that a well founded rumor?

Like many in this forum, we'd like to be occasionally immersed in the local culture or at least venture out regularly to network and meet some new people-- I think we will look into the local clubs. Speaking of which, we are diving enthusiasts, PADI licensed and would like to do a fair bit of diving. The water visibility looks fantastic based on photos.

We've never lived overseas, and only recently have I been as far as Europe. Everyone we talk to here says Doha is a great place to live/work - we're looking forward to it! Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship clothes to Qatar ? Why not buy them locally ?

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think we will look into the local clubs. Speaking of which, we are diving enthusiasts, PADI licensed and would like to do a fair bit of diving. The water visibility looks fantastic based on photos.
You can find info on the dive club here
http://www.bsac.org/branches/row.htm It is opposite the Marriot hotel.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston

The best source I have found RE Doha and what's happening, where to meet people, clubs etc....is in MARHABA magazine it comes out 4 times a year and is 20 QR. You can buy it in many places- in fact you can buy it as soon as you arrive at the airport! Word of mouth is usually the best method.....where will you be living? If you're on a compound, you'll find that that you'll meet many people......
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Good Advice All Reply with quote

Houston2Qatar wrote:
We're looking into vehicles when we get there, and we heard that toyota and nissan are the best options because of the availability of parts... anyone know if is that a well founded rumor?

Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Subaru... Also expensive European cars.
Priscilla QOTD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Gulf language & food Reply with quote

1. Whilst all above comments concerning language are quite true, if you are still interested I've been using "Spoken Arabic - step by step: A beginner's course in spoken Arabic of the Gulf and Saudi Arabia" by John Kirkbright, Motivate Publishing, Dubai, www.booksarabia.com, [email protected]. The package comes with tapes and I've found it easy to follow and quite useful.

2. Ditto to comments on food - delicious Turkish, Lebanese, Iranian, Indian and cheap! Local Arab dishes include Machbous (spiced rice & meat - similar to an Indian Biriani) and Harees (rice, meat and vegetable mashed up to porridge/oatmeal type consistency), which doesn't look too attractive but is actually very tasty. Balhambar restaurant on the Corniche used to have a special Qatari banquet on Friday's which was a good intro to regional food.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: