Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Casablanca
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salmacis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Casablanca Reply with quote

Hey there! I have been reading up on the boards and I still have a few questions. I am looking at a job at ALC in Casablanca. People are saying that I won't be able to put aside any money if I have bills back home.... but my bills are pretty small. If I were getting paid between 8000 and 9000, do you think I could send home at least 150$ a month? (like maybe I could send someone an atm card and they could withdraw the money from the US)

As far as living there... I am pretty well qualified, but my dad doesn't want me out there. I know, I know... I am almost 30 but my father still lets me crash at his place whenever I am stateside.

One more thing: has anyone worked for ALC before? It seems like a decent school... but I hate the working on Saturday thing. Will I really only have one day off a week?

Any suggestions about other schools in the area?

thanks

Summer
medina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Working in Casa Reply with quote

If it's the job posted on Dave's page, then you're going to get a housing stipend too, right? With that and not going out to eat too much you should be able to save 150 dollars a month with no big problem.
Are you sure it's only one day off? In a lot of ALCs the teachers get Sun and Mon off.
About the school: it's a really nice place and I think you'll like working there. Also, tell dad it's an international city and the ALC is in one of the nicest parts of town. The school also has its own security. I think you'll have a good time teaching there. Good luck!
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that your Dad says not to go there. Does he know something that I do?

Quote:
it's an international city

What does that mean? London it ain't. Casa is about as cosmpolitan as Pyongyang.

Quote:
With that and not going out to eat too much

Morocco's culinary status in a nutshell.
salmacis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Wow, Hod.... I have read these boards and you have lived up to your Eeyorean reputaion. Smile

Medina, thanks for the info. I just saw that the US has put a travel warning on Morocco... as well as the other two places I want to work, Turkey and UAE.

blah blah blah.... I am sitting at my parent's place without a damn thing to do but send my resume to 20 or so schools a day... never with any response.

Perhaps this American should stop sending to Germany, Spain and Italy.

If Morocco is the only place that responds... that's where I guess I will be. I REALLY do want to go there... but I don't wanna get bombed for my efforts.
Brooks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is much easier to get a job in Morocco, as an American, than in Europe.
Go for it.
I was in the same boat 8 years ago, as I wanted a job but got an offer in Casablanca and then took it.

Casablanca is more cosmopolitan than Pyongyang, but less than London. So?

In Rabat I didn`t have to work on Saturdays at the ALC, but some people did.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmopolitan - containing or having experience of people and things from many different parts of the world

A handful of English teachers, two or three French chefs, the world�s smallest Chinatown (with not one restaurant) and some Algerian street cleaners make up Casa�s cosmopolitan side.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod, you poor sod, you didn't really get to see much then if that's all you know of. Casa is quite international - I have met many many Europeans, East Indians, Africans, Asians - more than just Chinese; East Indians, etc. It is a huge international port city. The tiny amount of time you spent here did not enable you to see enough.
medina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Travel Advisory Reply with quote

This is addressed to Salmacis' concern about there being a US State Dept travel advisory for Morocco. This is because there have been some peaceful demonstrations against the cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in Rabat and Marrakesh. I underline the word peaceful. For the US State Dept., I imagine everywhere in the Muslim world appears to be a "danger" for Americans. After reading a recent poll that shows that young South Koreans would trust North Korea sooner than America, you could probably say that world opinion of America has reached another record low. Too bad.
But America (= the Bush administration) is one thing, and an American is another. Moroccans generally like Americans on a personal level. If they don't like American foreign policy these days, they are certainly not alone.
What I'm trying to say is: don't worry. It's far safer here than in most larges cities in the States.
Noureli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Casablanca Reply with quote

Thsi is to reply to that absurd person whom I would never like to meet or to talk to. Casablanca is a very modern city: international or not, China town or no China Town, Hod you should watch what you say about cities that either you had very little time to explore or very little money to explore. I'm going with my last assumption. And about Algerian cleaners I don't know what your talking about.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm okey dokey.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the Moroccan dirham is not a tradeable currency. Unless you utilize the black market to buy dollars, the amount that you will be able to exchange legally probably won't cover your expenses back home.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: It gets better every day Reply with quote

Your moroccan bank should have enough euros, but give them loads of notice.
The Bank maroc will change dirhams if you bring passport and work permit.
Your moroccan bank might even do an international transfer, but then again...

And that's about it.

Sending it Western Union outside the country - not allowed.
You could change it in Algeciras, Spain, but you'll lose loads on exchange.

p.s. Noureli � Now, in response to my criticising Casa, what did you do? Did you extol its virtues with tales of swimming with dolphins off Ain Diab? Did you wax on about the gastric good times? Na, you just threw all your toys at me, which is a damn sight easier than praising Casa so it seems. Reply with something interesting to say about Casa or put a lid on it.
medina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Paid in dirhams Reply with quote

I'm not sure what Urban K. was referring to but she (?) is right that dirhams are not hard currency. But if you're a foreigner working in Morocco legally (=a work permit and a residence card) you have the right to transfer up to 100 percent of your salary into dollars, or Euros or whatever.
Noureli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Casablanca Reply with quote

Hod, I did not throw all my toys at you. From the looks of it, expats anywhere in the world have something to complain about. About Casablanca, I hace lived there for 2 years and spent about 6 summers there abd actually in Ain Diab. I'm just saying that you should watch out what you say about cities that you don't know about. I'm still wondering about the Algerian cleaners. Please clarify ......
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think too much.

I met some street cleaners. I said, "Where are you from?" They said Algeria.

It was early days. My French or Arabic was not good then. What I wanted to say was, "Why don't you clean up some of this dust before I turn into a total asthmatic?"

Anyway, what is this? Twenty questions? I'm still waiting for some positives about Casa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: