Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do we do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Yes. Reply with quote

Exactly. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing But,after all,what can you expect?
Cobra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the end of service settlement for Peace Corps or VSO at approx US$6,000. That is 24,000 rmb.

Now look at how much you save during two years teaching ESL in China.

Just like volunteer service except that you can claim to be employed as a teacher rather than unemployable so you volunteered. Right bnix?
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Illiterate Snakes Reply with quote

Frankly,Snake,since your punctuation and grammar leave a lot to be desired, the rest of us cannot always be sure what the hell you are babbling about on this board.Probably just another so-called "teacher" playing around on the board. And of course, one who thinks he is an "expert"(don't they all?)
I have never been to China,so I do not know how much you can save there in two years.Of course,if they do not pay you,you will not save anything.I am sure that happens at least sometimes.
Maybe Scot is right.Maybe you are from outer space. Or maybe you are a reincarnation of Linda L.
Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this because I wanted a chance to try something different from what most people "back home" ever do. I was afraid of conforming to some desk job for 20 years only to realize later that I had made a mistake.

Also I like teaching, but I didn't have any ambition ot enter the Canadian public school system.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf wrote:
I do this because I wanted a chance to try something different from what most people "back home" ever do. I was afraid of conforming to some desk job for 20 years only to realize later that I had made a mistake.

Also I like teaching, but I didn't have any ambition ot enter the Canadian public school system.

I frequently have to listen to (well-meaning) friends and relatives who constantly ask me why won't I get my BEd? If I like teaching, why not get a teaching degree and teach in Canada? I can't seem to make them understand that I don't want to teach Canadian children. Nothing against Canadian children...my daughter is a Canadian child. Wink However, my preference is to teach English to speakers of other languages. I love it. I don't know why I do, I just do.

Yesterday, I was subjected to the "what about a pension plan" speech again. "You're almost 32 years old!" Jeez, let me go out and buy a plot at the local cemetery then. One foot in the grave, have I? Rolling Eyes So I don't have a pension plan at this point in my life. I will put away some money (when I can) and invest it. Pension plans aren't the only retirement option. Plus, I have another 30 or so years to go (with any luck).

My feeling is that life is too short not to live it the way we want to live it. I wish people would stop pushing their "good advice" on me and just let me do what makes me happy. They don't have to live with the consequences of my actions but I do. Evil or Very Mad
Cobra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnix just as I start to consider that maybe you are an ok guy after all, you go ahead and make a post that proves me wrong and confirms why nobody appreciates you.
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capergirl- I can relate! I think the added pressure for me would be that my husband and I haven't had kids yet. "And just when do you suppose you are going to have children with all of this gallavanting around? You're not getting any younger you know..." (I am 28, but by my age, my mother had 2 stepkids plus me. She had a fourth by the age of 31, so she basically sees me as having only 3 years left in which to have at least 4 kids.... Rolling Eyes )

As I have run into a number of ex-teachers from Canada here in Japan, I have been able to convince my family that a teaching certificate in Canada is not a guarantee of employment in Canada. The teachers I have run into here were severely underemployed in Canada- doing part time contracts and substitue teaching topped off with other part time work to make ends meet- NOT how I wish to live.
Minhang Oz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My savings 18 months into a 3 year China stint are working out at around $9000 USD a year. The guy next door, same salary, plus roughly the same side-gigs, $0 USD. And I don't live like a Buddhist monk [and this is not a monk-put down].
Why is it so?
Cobra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are in it for the working vacation.
Some are in it to save money.
Some are in it for a sex holiday.
Some are in it for the pain.
Some are in it for the b*i*t*c*h*i*n*g rights.
Some are in it to learn teaching.
Some are in it to get experience teaching.
Some are in because they are dedicated teachers.
Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste wrote:
Capergirl- I can relate! I think the added pressure for me would be that my husband and I haven't had kids yet. "And just when do you suppose you are going to have children with all of this gallavanting around? You're not getting any younger you know..." (I am 28, but by my age, my mother had 2 stepkids plus me. She had a fourth by the age of 31, so she basically sees me as having only 3 years left in which to have at least 4 kids.... Rolling Eyes )

Wow. What - do Canadian parents of EFL teachers sit around and think this stuff up together? I've got the same problem! And I'm a guy! Rolling Eyes I've got until I drop dead! Wink

I'm 26 and single. No prospects. My parents give me the "so when are you going to come home, conform, and get married, you great slaggard?"

You'd think I didn't have 4 younger brothers and that the family line is about to evaporate if I don't move back to Canada, get married, get a job, and put my self deep into debt (which I spent two years digging myself out of - I'm the only adult member of my family not in debt.)

Retirement? Whatever. I'll set aside what I can when I can. I do worry about this from time to time - but I'm sure I'll find a way.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf:
My advice,for what's it worth,live your life for yourself,not for your parents or anyone else.Don't worry about what other people say or think.It's your life and your decision to do as you please.Once you start trying to please other people,you will be unhappy for the rest of your life.
Think about it.
Cheers. Cool
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Shonai,Good Advice...Cobra...Please Go to Cambodia Reply with quote

Shonai Ben gave some very good advice.It is your life.Sure,it is wise to try and get along with people,but live YOUR life.Obviously,Shonai has had some life experience.
Cobra,in your post,you state you used to think I was an okay guy(or words to that effect),but now you think nobody appreciates me.
That is rather humorous.Do you think I CARE?Cobra, what do you think this is,a fraternity,a popularity contest?

I am reminded of one of my former housemates,a guy fresh out of college who used to chide me with comments like "Don't do that! It is just not COOL( Laughing Laughing ). We would NEVER do something like that at MY university( Laughing Laughing Laughing ). The newbies..... Laughing Laughing
Capergirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf wrote:
Celeste wrote:

Wow. What - do Canadian parents of EFL teachers sit around and think this stuff up together? I've got the same problem! And I'm a guy! Rolling Eyes I've got until I drop dead! Wink

I'm 26 and single. No prospects. My parents give me the "so when are you going to come home, conform, and get married, you great slaggard?"

You'd think I didn't have 4 younger brothers and that the family line is about to evaporate if I don't move back to Canada, get married, get a job, and put my self deep into debt (which I spent two years digging myself out of - I'm the only adult member of my family not in debt.)

Retirement? Whatever. I'll set aside what I can when I can. I do worry about this from time to time - but I'm sure I'll find a way.

Celeste and Wolf, I'm so glad I'm not the only one dealing with this cr*p! Laughing People don't understand why I don't want to "settle down", especially since I have a child already. I am doing the exact opposite of what everyone tells me I should do. Apparently, what I should do is get married, get a stable career (i.e. not teaching ESL), get a mortgage, a minivan, and a couple of dogs. Then I should spend the rest of my life trying to crawl out of debt like a turtle in quicksand. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? Rolling Eyes Instead I have the quirky notion to explore this amazing planet and the people who populate it, and teach my native language to others while (hopefully) learning other languages in the process. I want my daughter to learn about the world, and not just through reading books and watching Disney films. People think I'm crazy and maybe they are right. Nonetheless, this is my life to live and not anyone else's.

Hey Wolf, you mentioned in another thread that you had watched Braveheart recently so this should ring a bell: "Every man dies. Not every man truly lives." Wink

P.S. I think it's awesome that you got yourself out of debt. I have just recently done the same and it is very liberating. I don't really own anything but then again, I don't owe anything either. Cool
Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shonai Ben wrote:
Wolf:
My advice,for what's it worth,live your life for yourself,not for your parents or anyone else.Don't worry about what other people say or think.It's your life and your decision to do as you please.Once you start trying to please other people,you will be unhappy for the rest of your life.
Think about it.
Cheers. Cool

Thanks, Shonai Ben. I know that comes from experience. Don't worry, I'm living my life the way I want, and I'm not about to cave in now! Smile Who is to say that my future will be any better or worse than, say, you average Enron employee.

Capegirl wrote:
Hey Wolf, you mentioned in another thread that you had watched Braveheart recently so this should ring a bell: "Every man dies. Not every man truly lives."

"They may take our aspirations lightly, but they'll never take our freedom!" Yep! Wink Scots in the family on my father's side. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: