Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU passport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d-rail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: EU passport Reply with quote

I have to apologize for my ignorance on this subject, but what are discussion forums for, right? Here is my question: Is it possible for a US citizen to obtain a EU passport? Is there any way it can be done barring marriage? I am a TEFL teacher and i would love to teach in Spain. Is it possible to get in?
Thanks.
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of your grandparents came from an EU country then it may be possible for you to obtain nationality from that country.
You would need to check with the Embassy.

Once you have a passport from one EU country you will have the same rights as any national of any (and all) other EU countries. That means no one EU country can treat you in any way differently from any of it's own nationals.
So, if they don't need work permits - you won't.
If they need a recognised Degree in order to qualify for a particular jonb - you will need the same (or similarly recognised) Degree.

So, for example French, people need a CAPES in order to qualify as teachers in French State Schools. Therefore I need a CAPES to do the same. My (UK) teaching credentials do not qualify me as a teacher in France.

Hope that helps.

rogan
avahanian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: EU passport Reply with quote

d-rail wrote:
I have to apologize for my ignorance on this subject, but what are discussion forums for, right? Here is my question: Is it possible for a US citizen to obtain a EU passport? Is there any way it can be done barring marriage? I am a TEFL teacher and i would love to teach in Spain. Is it possible to get in?
Thanks.

Hi,

It can also be done by working a certain number of years in Spain on a work permit (i.e. legally). I believe it is 10 years....

best wishes
d-rail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i dont have any recent relatives that came from Europe, and i am not willing to work in spain for 10 years. I was thinking of something along the lines of 2 or 3 years. Thank you for the info. let me know if europe changes their policy Smile

thanks again for your help.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look into this more closely, D-Rail. There are certainly Canadians who have worked in Spain for more than three years straight, whether illegaly or legally I coulnt tell you... but dont be put off.
d-rail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khmerhit wrote:
There are certainly Canadians who have worked in Spain for more than three years straight, whether illegaly or legally I coulnt tell you... but dont be put off.

Then this is what i need to figure out. How can it be done? I know i could do it by going through an organization like Peace Corps., but i would rather have a paid position; a regular teaching job. any suggestions?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go, show up on site. Like Scot said, there are illegal jobs and plenty of people do that.
d-rail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be true, but that can be very expensive, and money is something i do not have in abundance right now. Does anyone know what i could typically get paid working illegally? There is no way i will be paid the going rate working illegally. Will I make enough to live or will i be doing everything under the table, making peanuts?
saffrongirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what mate??? I'm in the same boat as you are! I don't have an EU passport nor any blood european relatives nor the want to work for 10 years! I only possess the desire to teach english in Spain and earn enough moola to live enough to enjoy my time over there. If you've found anything out--let me know mate eh? thanks.
d-rail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent found out any additional information since my last post. for now i am working, paying off school loans. I am keeping my eyes and ears open, but not looking actively at the time. My college roommate just went to South Korea on the third of january, and if he really loves it there, i may consider S korea. Spain is still a goal of mine, but i might have to wait for a while before it happens. everything is still up in the air with me right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: