Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some thoughts about working at the MLI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: mli Reply with quote

Hi mli-newbie, I don't think you have much to worry about getting on that plane. If you can show patience especially the first month or so, then it should get much better after that. If you're married and have kids, the seperation may be a bit tough. Whatever Martin or any one else told you, it will take 6-8 weeks before the military will give you tickets for them-u have to get your residence visa first before the family processing starts, and that takes about a month. AD is an ok place to live in-it's a bit hectic to drive and park in, a bit overcrowded but also has a lot to offer: malls, cinemas, 5-star hotel sports clubs, beaches, etc. The money you will make should be enough to live on very comfortably, and if you're somewhat careful, you'll even save. Whatever you do, don't expect things to go smoothly till you've been here at least a month or so, but you may get lucky and it'll all fall into place-but expect the unexpected, and you'll get through it. Especially if you're a go-getter as the military does little to help you and when they do, it takes time. However, I think they mean well, but still have a lot to learn about hiring people from abroad. Good luck!
manonatrain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: going for the INTERVIEW experience Reply with quote

:lol:
Any advice? Am going to an interview in a few days at this
very place. Doing it more to SEE what they will offer and the
living condtions etc. Have a friend who has just accepted a post
there. But would like to hear from some Ol TIMERS.

How long will it take to process my documents. Do
I have to get everything CERTIFIED ? Or will they do
that for me? How long does the interview last ?

What type of accomodation (specifics please) will they offer me.
hmbaba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: mli-newbie - school fees Reply with quote

Hello,
This is directed to mli_newbie:
If you have school-age kids in Abu Dhabi, I am not sure you'll be able to save much - the MLI school allowance is only 15,000 per child (up to 3 kids) - I work at MLI and the fees for my daughter in 11th grade are 34,500 in the Brit (Al-Qubairat School) - the American Community School is more and all schools need a non-refundable down payment - at my daughter's school it was 6,300. Fees are not necessarily much lower for lower grades. Best solution if you are at MLI is to head for ZMC in Al Ain - fees at AAESS and Chouefait are MUCH less - and the down payment is relatively low - for younger kids the 15,000 might cover everything. And, there's lots for young kids to do in AA.
Regards,
Heather Baba

PS: On a different subject, everyone has their own opinions about their colleagues and coordinators and so on - and maybe my colleagues will jump on me for this since I post under my real name and it's not a question of guesswork as to who said what - but it's up to each individual to make their own mind up about people - a 'good guy' to me might be a bad guy to you - and retrospectively and comparatively might be a bad guy to everyone... I suppose forewarned is forearmed, but do come with an open mind about people - so much depends on your own expectations, and previous experience and personality and competence and all that. In the Middle East, rumours abound about people and places - ordinary people can become monsters of mammoth proportions or mythical heros - until you are on the inside track of all the organisations involved, you cannot determine the good guys and bad guys and then there are prevailing circumstances and international guidelines and your own moral stance - and does the rumour or event actually affect YOU personally - and is it really substantiated - and based on what or who?
Plug this thought into what you have read in this discussion on the list - if you want to arrive paranoid, ignore it - but if you prefer to get paranoid later based on your own experiences, take it on board.
H
grand fromage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather, I have to commend you for your decision to post under your name-takes guts. Also, I like your neutral tone and informative postings. I have decided to post anonymously as this gives me bit wider range of things I can say and get a few things of my chest. I have been here a bit longer than you so I guess I have more baggage to deal with, which is easier to share under an assumed identity. I also rememeber a guy who let it all out on Yahoogroups and it wasn't well received by Amideast and the officers. You can well imagine what happened to him when his contract ended (this was before your time, so you won't know who I am talking about). I am also aware that MLI adiministrators regularly print these postings out so I prefer to remain unknown to them. In fact they have been doing it for a long time; I remember learning of it from Martin during my interview years ago. I wish, however that more "stable" (like you and humble me Laughing )people from MLI posted here to make this forum more informative for everyone. Maybe this way, GHQ and the officers and coordinators in charge would start thinking twice before putting their foot in their mouths (hint, hint-new contract chaos and disinformation until recently, especially for us single guys), or think twice before making empty promises. Ha ha, wishful thinking galore, but I am still here so I guess I can still justify dealing with it with the "better"side of MLI-great students (most of them Wink ), nice working hours, fast-internet on my desk, nice collegaues, etc. See ya in the corridor, Heather Laughing
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Harbinger of doom? Reply with quote

I dug up the following from a post from last year:

holbrook wrote:
I liked the MLI because it seemed so professional and cutting edge.

Cutting edge.

Ha.

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha.

I laughed until I cried. Wink
mli_vet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Ho, ho, ho . . . me too ! ! ! Reply with quote

Ho, ho, ho . . . me too ! ! ! Speaking of cut, time to ax a few coordinators.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: