Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Taiwan Reply with quote

What are the best places to look for jobs in Taiwan? I recently finished my CELTA course. I was considering going to China, but now I've realised Taiwan would be better to start with, as I have some credit card debt to repay.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best answer is virtually anywhere. Well, maybe not. Some of the jobs in the pretty East coast towns are quite sought after. Taipei has more to offer the foreigner, though. It's usually a good place to start. I wouldn't worry too much about finding work. There seems to be an aweful lot vacancies lately. Not all of them are good, though. Take your time and investigate your prospective employers. Oh yeah, don't use a recruiter to get a job here. It's not necessary and they're often crooks.
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will need to find a job before I leave, though, as I haven't got the necessary funds to go over there and possibly live for a few weeks before finding something. Where would you advise looking?
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. If you don't have sufficient funds to support yourself for a few weeks here (possibly less money than you might think), you might want to consider going to Korea for your first contract. You should not come here flat broke, if it can possibly be avoided. There are just too many expenses and things that can go wrong when you first get here. You may not even be able to get the preferred visa to come here (the 60 day multiple entry) unless you can provide bank statements, to show that you have some money, to the TECO people. There is one option for those without any money. It's Hess. [***To other expats: I know, I know guys. It's definitely not the highest pay on the island. Please don't write in replies to state that obvious fact. I don't work there.***] They have one advantage for the financially challenged that should interest you: they will hire and process you overseas (basically, no one else does this), allowing you to arrive here with a resident visa. If you don't have money and need everything sewn up before you leave, they are your only option. A recruiter can wind up costing you more than if you came here solo. Remember that before you trust one. You can type in Hess in a search engine to contact them directly. Alternatively, browse this site and tealit.com for want ads. Also type in "China Post," "Taipei Times," or "Taiwan News" in a search engine to search the three major English papers here for more want ads. There are ample jobs available. Just think twice about leaving your home country with no money in your jeans.
surrealia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: try this page Reply with quote

This page should give you plenty of information on finding a job before you arrive:

http://www.geocities.com/allhou/teachlinks.htm
michelle yu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Recruiters Reply with quote

Generally speaking, if you pay a recruiter out of pocket - then something is wrong. Most reputable recruiters earn their income from the employer seeking the subject. Not from the subject directly.

So, if a recruiter ends up costing you something. Then look elsewhere.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle,

I am not referring to a recruiter's fees when I say that recruiters will cost you. They will rip you off, break promises, give you lousy jobs and make your life hell. That is what I mean when I refer to "costs."
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: I got a great job Reply with quote

from a recruiter....i stayed in it two years....but i now want to look round independently. A recruiter is a great idea if you cannot afford to look around for a job independently.
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a great job Reply with quote

matchstick_man wrote:
from a recruiter....i stayed in it two years....but i now want to look round independently. A recruiter is a great idea if you cannot afford to look around for a job independently.

No it's not.
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

Maybe using a recruiter isn�t for everybody.....most people who say that either know Taiwan already or have friends there......if you don�t a place where you can�t read or speak the language is overwhelming and looking for a job is often stressful regardless of the country. I stand by my statement as I had a positive experience and no, I�m not a recruiter or an agent.

Still if and when I return to Taiwan I may not use an agent as I now speak basic Mandarin and know my way around Taiwan.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I have to come down firmly on the side against recruiters. This goes doubly for those who've never been here before. The risks are just too great, especially for those unfamiliar with the country. When I came here, I had a recruiter who promised me a high paying job, accomodation and airport pickup. All of these disappeared when I arrived. This included even the airport pickup (leaving me stranded with nowhere to go). Here I was in an airport in a foreign country, no contacts no language skills and nowhere to go. All in all it was a very bad experience to say the least, and one which cost me plenty. On the plus side, however, I was able to initiate my own street-level job search and settle into the job of my choice (there are tons of jobs available here) rather than one I'd agreed to take sight unseen. In hindsight, I should have done this in the first place.

No, I'm sorry. Recruiters are not worth trusting. There may be success stories -- there has to be at least some satisfied customers out there -- but recruiters are highly risky, untrustworthy and definitely not needed in what is essentially an employee's job market. I further invite people to read an article on Tealit.com about recruiters for an impartial opinion.

If you want to come here, do the following: Save up some money, come here, grab your Lonely Planet, locate and stay in the foreigner-frequented Hostels, network with other foreigners, practice due dilligence in your own job search and find your own job. It's VERY easy to do this, though it may seem intimidating to newcomers. You'll be glad you did. Going the recruiter route may seem easier, but there's definitely more risk involved . Think about it. Would you take a job sight unseen from someone you don't know in your own country? You certainly don't want to do so in a place as relatively lawless as Taiwan. There's a good chance you'll get screwed.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the desperate or the ignorant use recruiters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: