Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brazil - dangerous???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
existe1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like some others said, it is hard to judge a whole country. i lived in Salvador and throughout Bahia for a year or so. I would say the larger cities are exceptionally dangerous. I know in Salvador, I was on a hijacked bus more than one time, at gunpoint and robbed. I was also robbed or attempted on several occassions in the street by youth and children. Overall, you can try to not look like a foreigner, but Brazileiros are keen people. The notice people and know a tourist when they see one. I am african american so I blended in pretty well in Bahia, but even still, if I was on a cell phone, even speaking portugeuse, they would know I wasn't a local and there were times when this was an issue. That's the realism. But, Brazil's dangers don't take away from what a mystical and fantastic place it is. Brasil pra mim...
sqwerl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got back from traveling nearly all of brazil, from the amazons to florianopolis.

The north is very dangerous, the south isn`t as much.
I was robbed at knifepoint by homeless people on a main street at 1 a.m. with street vendors outside in belem.. You can try to be untouristy if you want, but if you are white ... it just isn`t going to happen in the north.
The north is full of very agressive whores too, so that is a dangerous scene. Drugs and whores, I understand, can get you into a lot of trouble.

Sao Paulo seemed really sketchy, as that guy said I think it is worst than rio because crime is everywhere. Some of the parks downtown are just chock full of homeless camps.

Salvador seems really bad, everyone is asking for money everywhere. I caught someone trying to pickpocket me in the only club I went to there.
Elsewhere in Bahia my friends pousada was broken into and he lost hundreds worth of goods and cash.

�n Rio I watched as teh favela people came to the beach to rob everyone, and thankfully the people in the cabanas fought back ... which started a huge riot of about 40 people throwing chairs and people beating others with steel poles from the umbrellas. And even in Ipanema the favela is only about 4 blocks from the beach.

The country is beautiful, but a mess. Only in the south did I feel safe walking the streets at night. I have been living in Buenos Aires for 6 months before and I never really felt unsafe anywhere at night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sniper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Brazil is not dangerous Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of answers to this post.

I lived in Rio for about a year and have been back several times. I have NEVER been robbed in Brazil.

If you are walking around at 1am or your are going into the Favelas at night, you are taking your life into your hands. But not any different than if you are in Los Angeles at the same time of night.

I always suggest that you carry a few Reis in your shirt pocket. If someone pulls a knife on you, hand it to them. They will go. They are not interested in a fight, just the money.

Just don't be foolish and you will be fine.
ChrisV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Don't kid yourself: Rio is a dangerous place. Reply with quote

I lived in Rio for four years. I was mugged successfully once (at knife point) and suffered many more attempts, all of which I successfully resisted (being older and wiser, I wouldn't resist now). The bottom line is that, statistically speaking, Rio is an extremely dangerous place compared to even the most dangerous first world cities. For example, the murder rate in Rio is about 50.0 per 100k, compared to 5.5 per 100k for the US in general, 6.9 in NYC and 2.4 in London, UK. You can minimise your risk a lot by taking the proper precautions (which, admittedly, I didn't usually take), but it will never be as safe as New York or London, whether you look Brazilian or not.
sniper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who get mugged generally are what we call "lit up like a Xmas tree". Meaning you are wearing jewelry or fairly expensive clothing, or carrying a briefcase.

I found if I needed to carry paperwork (lesson plans, papers, etc) I did it in a manilla envelope. I wore a $10 watch and always wore an unmarked polo shirt and jeans.

I should also say that I'm 6'2", 210lbs, and was in my early 20's at the time.

Just don't walk outside alone at night and be smart about where you are in the day and you'll be fine.

The murder rates are deceiving because most of the homicide in Brazil is drug related. Tourists may be roughed up but not killed if they don't resist.

Use the idea I said earlier, keep a small amount of cash in your shirt pocket. Just hand it over and they'll leave. They want the quick hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: