Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unmarried Couple moving to Kuwait??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Unmarried Couple moving to Kuwait?? Reply with quote

My partner and I are currently living in Kabul, Afghanistan, and he's been transferred to Kuwait. We're both Canadians, and we've lived together in both China and Kabul without any problem, but I've been unable to find much info about the viability of this arrangement in Kuwait. Do authorities turn a blind eye? Would we even be able to find a place together? What are the risks if we do live together?
middleastman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: living in sin Reply with quote

Its both illegal and immoral, but yes its possible- you maybe asked for a marrage certificate when you rent an apt and you never can tell. People clock you coming and going sometimes and the harris (guard) of the building may not be willing to overlook for what his jobs worth..........up to you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key thing is that it IS illegal - assuming that you are female. There are people who do it, but the situation is that both of them have individual jobs with employment packages and work visas.

He can not get you a visa to live there. Visas in Kuwait are not easy to get. If you get a job and a visa, you must still maintain the facade of marriage with a ring and all to your neighbors.

Just be aware that though the risk may be small, the punishment is flogging, imprisonment in an unairconditioned jail, and deportation.

VS
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its both illegal and immoral
Shocked The illegal bit I understand. Immoral? According to who? I live with my G/f. Does that make me a bad person?
middleastman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

VS thanks for repeating what I said in my post- and as for the flogging thats not really true- neither is the info that you said about both people needing visas and jobs. I guess maybe you info is just a bit outdated?

Oh, and re: the immorality of cohabitiation I was only kidding dmb- i meant in the eyes of the law.
Sam777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too concerned about the visa and the job, I've got 2 passports so I'm sure I can keep myself in tourist visas until I find work. My main concern is the residency issue. From what info I've been able to find, it appears that you have to begin the residency process quite quickly after accepting a job. It doesn't seem like Dubai where you have the choice of living on work visas or becomming a resident. And as part of the paperwork you have to submit is a copy of your lease, is this correct? My main concern is that we would have to put both of our names on the lease, and it would be pretty obvious that there are 2 names on the lease and no marriage certificate sumbitted with the residency paperwork. Also do the residents card or drivers license state your marital status?
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and re: the immorality of cohabitiation I was only kidding dmb-
Embarassed
British Tutor Kuwait

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: SAM 777 Reply with quote

In Kuwait the Work Permit IS also the Residency - IQAMA.
e.g. Visa # 18 for you.

You could both secure jobs teaching at Schools which provide furnished accommodation. i.e. An apartment each in the same building .... live in one and use the second for entertaining friends/trusted colleagues.

Schools are now seeking staff for September 2006.

Re: Visit Visas / working, see reply to Ministry of Defence.

Also, current vacancies in Kuwait:-

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=10930
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: