Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best cities for outdoor sports + night life?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Best cities for outdoor sports + night life? Reply with quote

Hi there everybody,

I'm currently teaching in Korea and I'd like to come over to Japan for a year. I don't know much about Japan and would like to have your opinoins on where to live.
I really value having access to outdoor sports, especially mountain biking. But I still want to live somewhere that offers a lively night life.
I appreciate your advice.

Thanks, Matt Preston Very Happy
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: I love the night life, baby! Reply with quote

I found that Hiroshima has a pretty fun night life. It's not as cosmopolitan as Tokyo, but it's not as overwhelming, either.

You can breathe the air in Hiroshima and there is grass and trees and friendly people.

Shimanami Kaido, the bridge system to Shikoku, is right there south of Hiroshima city, and the islands provide some interesting outdoors places to go.

You can mountain bike around Shikoku island. The main city of Ehime Prefecture, Matsuyama, is a very liveable city, too, with some fun places to go in the evening, and you can get to Mt. Ishizuchi (sp?) which has awesome hiking and probably biking, too.
David W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptone, if you are into mountainbiking Nagano is the place to go. What kind of riding are you into? I ride here (mainly DH) and I'm happy to give you any advice you want.
ptone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly a x-country rider, but I like some steeps too. I was wondering about Nagano, I heard there's good skiing there too.
Is Nagano good for partying?

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Laughing
David W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Nagano is pretty good for skiing, I mean if it's good enough to have the Olympics there I suppose it has gotta be pretty good Laughing Anyway I'm sure if you lob into Nagano city there'll be plenty of places to party in.
ptone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess that you're right, it must be pretty good skiing if they held the Olympics there.
How are the Japanese riders?
Here in Korea they are friendly, but not very dialed into what biking is really about. All flash and nothing to back up their $6000 bikes.....
Is there an established riding community there?
Any other advice you can give me is of course appreciated.

Cheers Rolling Eyes
David W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was in Korea last year. He has also lived in Japan and he said Japan is much more advanced as far as the "mountainbiking culture" goes. Lots more riders, much more infrastructure, more shops. His opinion of Korean riders was pretty much the same as yours. You do still get that syndrome in Japan but not as bad apparently.
Just a note about bike parts- it's pretty expensive in Japan for bike stuff, not as bad as it was but still more than North America. The good news is that you can do the mail order thing and you don't get hit for any customs duties. I still go into my LBS for some things, just so I can keep in their good books, but all the real expensive stuff comes mail order from overseas for me. Got a new chariot on order as we speak. Winter is almost over and I'm getting amped to ride!!!!!! Twisted Evil Very Happy
ptone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I figured things would be a better more chilled out there. If you have any inside advice on where to work in Nagano I'd love to hear it. Always good to actually hear it from someone on the ground.
That's crazy that bike parts are pricey there, I mean they make Shimano components there.....
Shimano stuff is so cheap here in Korea, I figured it'd be equally as cheap over there.
I'll make sure I'm fitted out before I head off.

Ride on Cool
David W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't personally endorse any places in Nagano but I always see lots of ads for places in Nagano in Dave's job classified. Also you might wanna check www.ohayosensei.com a good place for job leads.
Yeah, my friend told me that Shimano stuff ws dirt cheap in Korea. Work that out!!!! Mad Anyway any other questions fire away, always willing to help out a fellow mtber Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: